1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IDE/SATA Power supply?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Breannaleex, Nov 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Breannaleex

Breannaleex Thread Starter

Hello Anybody,

I’m apologising in advance for this post, because to some it is probably such a ridiculous and basic question, however. I have an extremely old IDE 3.5 HD I’m just wanting to remove old files from. So I jumped on eBay and brought a basic USB to SATA/IDE converter, not realising my HD needs a power supply also. Having only the adapter and no power supply, how can I get around this?
    Would a Molex to SATA cable help me achieve this or not?
    Thank you for the understanding and any help/assistance! Much appreciated.

Ps - My logic is - buying the Molex to SATA cable and plugging the SATA End into the ide/SATA adapter I have, then the Molex End into my HD - would this give the HD enough power to run from the SATA/ide to USB adapter? If that even would work at all???

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  2. britekguy

britekguy

Are you working with a desktop computer when attempting to retrieve these files?

If so, and you feel comfortable doing so, pop off the case (or side panel) and take a look at the main cable that comes out of the power supply and is already supplying what's in your computer. I would be surprised if there isn't "extra cable" tied up at the end with several unused molex connectors on it.

I have, on multiple occasions when dealing with old drives that require external power and were originally powered via a molex connector, simply used "a spare one" from the tower in question to power the old drive to get the data off then tucked that generally unused end of the cable back into place afterward. Sometimes you may have to cut a cable tie if there was enough extra that it would have been flopping all over the inside of the case, and will have to replace that if you do cut it.

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

No
    you connect a molex to the ide drive and then to your psu in the computer.
    OR you do as here with a better quality model
    https://cdn.cnetcontent.com/syndica...b7f73a6def5a42c5951ec55f26b7c01c/original.pdf

depending of course on what your purchase has supplied
    presuming of course as my colleague has said that your computer does not have the required ide connection as some newer ones do not they are all SATA or M2 derivatives OR is a laptop

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
  5. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I think from the above that what the thread starter is trying to do is to connect it externally usb in the convertor - to get the files
    As I said on my post the proposal of connecting the SATA power on the adapter to a molex will NOT work
    The link I sent is the same principle as the one you sent both have a power supply with the adapter, the one that has been purchased appears not to have

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235937

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice