1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IDE / SATA problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by smackenzie, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smackenzie

smackenzie Thread Starter

I'm attempting to install an old IDE drive as a slave on a fairly new PC (Fujitsu / Siemens, < 1 yr old) that has a SATA HDD as its primary (only) hard drive. As far as I can tell, I've set the jumper on the IDE drive correctly -but have tried all the possible settings.

In order to do this, I've bought an adapter card and cables (A11AZ SATA to IDE converter from Maplins UK, mfg by Oyatech in Taiwan); I've tested the IDE drive in another PC, and know it's functioning - but neither the BIOS nor Windows (XPSP2) sees it in the new PC. Obviously, the adapter card and/or cable could be faulty, though I have no reason to believe they are.

Any suggestions? Additional steps I need to take for BIOS to see the drive? I would imagine this to be a common problem, as people replace PC's but are reluctant to throw away old hard drives.

2. bigbear

bigbear

What have you set the jumper to? should be CS- cable select

3. xtreampb

xtreampb

i didn't think that you could put jumpers on a SATA HDD

4. bigbear

bigbear

Its not a sata drive, he is using a ide to sata adapter
    BTW you can get jumpers on sata drives to change transfer rates from 150mbps to 300mbps.
    Some mobo's don't support the faster speed

5. telegramsam

telegramsam

Look at your Disk Management (Control Panel, Admin Tools) and see if it shows up in there. Strange that your BIOS doesn't see it, but just for kicks, take a look. You'll need to enable it and format it to NTFS if it isn't already formatted.

6. xtreampb

xtreampb

so does does fat-32 not support SATA HDD

ok so he is using an IDE HDD and trying to hook it up to an SATA controller

7. bigbear

bigbear

Fat 32 has nothing to do with the drive, you could run ME or Linux on it if you wanted to.

8. Leec65

Leec65

try putting it back in the other box that can see it and use your xp disk to format then try it back in your box

9. xtreampb

xtreampb

ok. i just got confused when he said to format the drive to NTFS

10. telegramsam

telegramsam

There ya go--good idea (y)

11. Leec65

Leec65

not the first i had to do that

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Guys you are missing something here. The drive is connected to a controller card. It will NEVER show up in the system bios; only the card bios [if that is accessable]

First thing make sure your controller card is installed and shows up in device manager without any yellow marks. Once that is done, then you can connect your ide drive to the card [along with power] The jumper for the ide drive should be set to master.

13. bigbear

bigbear

14. smackenzie

smackenzie Thread Starter

Thanks for all replies so far. Elsewhere, I've been advised to remove the jumper from the IDE drive altogether (no master/slave concept in SATA?). As for the controller / adaptor debate, I think bigbear is right - it's an adapter, so I'm not expecting to see a controller card in device manager. (I will look however).

15. telegramsam

telegramsam

Did you check disk managment?

Help a brother out here!! :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541787

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice