1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IDE SuperDisk Probems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by macromill, Apr 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. macromill

macromill Thread Starter

Hello, I have a Compaq Presario 7151WM. A while back I installed an internal IDE Imation SuperDisk 120MB drive and it worked great under Windows Me. I then purchased a second hard drive. Since I wanted to use the hard drive more I unhooked my SuperDisk and installed the hard drive, that worked great too. I then got an Ultra ATA/133 card so I could hook up the SuperDisk drive. I didn't get around to hooking it up until I installed Windows XP Home upgrade. The card seemed to install okay as Win XP detected it in a balloon in the tray notification area. I hooked up the SuperDisk but Win XP didn't detect it. I went to the Imation website and they said not to install drivers as Win 95b and up have the already, there wasn't a link for a driver anyways. I have tried many things, jumper shunt - cable select/master/slave configurations, drivers off of the CD for the Ultra ATA/133 card. There is only one thing that clicked in my head, might I have the wrong card as it is an Ultra ATA/133 and I need an Ultra ATA/800 as I take PC-800 DDRAM. I am not sure at this point. If you need anymore information post on this forum, I know about everything about my system. Any tips or help is greatly appreciated! Thanks, Jaimy

2. macromill

macromill Thread Starter

When booting the Windows XP Logo would be dim from 15 to 30 seconds and then appear normal, unhooked it as I didn't want to take a chance.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Hookup your hd to the controller card and the SuperDisk to one of the ide controllers on the mb. Your configuration would be something like this; hd 0 on controller card as master, hd 1 on controller card as slave. Put your cdrom on ide1 as master and your SuperDisk as the slave. Note you can reverse this if necessary. If you have a DVD burner, it should be installed as a master device.

You may have to enter the bios and have it boot from the controller card.

FWIW I do not recommend an upgrade from win9x to an nt based os such as XP. I would backup what you want to save and do a clean install of xp. You will have a more stable, smoother operating system.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Forgot to add, controller cards very often do not play well with anything other than a hd. Some cards claim to be able to support optical drives, however I still like to install just hd to a controller card. Unless the card is a scsi; then it supports scsi cdroms.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    hmmmm never heard of ATA800! unless you are going with SATA drives at the moment as far as IDE goes you ata133 card is your fastest interface. Remember I said as far as IDE goes. Your ATA speed and your ram speed are not the same thing. If that were the case I would need ata333. I have run my optical drives off of my Promise ATA133 card. They worked great except you can not make the CDrom a bootable drive connected to the controller card. So if you want to be able to boot from cd keep them on your onboard controllers. If you want to boot from a drive connected to the controller card you have to install the drivers before you connect your drive to the controller card. or when you reinstall windows it prompts you for 3rd party controllers at the start of installation.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223858

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice