1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ide to usb

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eXpertu, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eXpertu

eXpertu Thread Starter

how to build a ide to usb device to use as a external drive, and please dont say buy it is less expensive a full construction set :)

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I have no idea what you're looking for. Do you plan to buy all the parts, like raw plastic, and then cast the parts from molds? How low-level do you want to get? And what is the point when ready-made kits are available?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you're talking about the interface, do you really have the skills to assemble the parts, design and program the microcontroller, etc.?

Now, perhaps you'll tell us what you really want to do.

5. singel352000

singel352000

hi I just bought a cable usb2 to ide cable for under $20 australian and it can be used for
    3.5 or2.5 just turn it around it came with own power supply for3.5 as 2.5 does not need power just plug into usb and away you go.I hope that might help.:rolleyes:

6. JohnWill

I suspect we won't be hearing from him again. :rolleyes:

7. eXpertu

eXpertu Thread Starter

didn't expect to :)
    i have the tools and now only the programming of the microcontroller seems to be a major problem but i know a electronics engineer i think he should be able to do that i hope.. :)
    as someone said is really hard to find in romania all the components, i found a hungarian company selling the full construction i emailed them but it seems that romanian and hungarians living here arent agree with nothing so they didnt ever reply to my message (n)
    what i was trying to find is about mounting a hard disk 3.5 to a rack(that i already own but only with ide interface also my mistake for buying it for being attracted by the usb port:( ) and connect to my computer using an usb cable.

8. JohnWill

Why in the world would you want to solve a problem that's already been solved multiple times? If you're that eager to design something, pick something that doesn't already exist in multiple forms. :rolleyes: What's the point in reinventing the wheel? :confused:

9. bp936

bp936

John, the point seems to be, he is in Rumania, I guess if you have never been in a really poor country, you can't imagine, :confused: NOT being able to buy everything. People have to be very inventive if they want something. Hope he finds someone to help him :eek:

10. JohnWill

If he can buy a computer in Romania, I can't imagine why he can't buy simple accessories. I hope you're not trying to tell me you can buy all the component parts and development equipment, but can't buy a simple IDE <-> USB adapter! :rolleyes:

11. eXpertu

eXpertu Thread Starter

now listen here wiseguy moderator all i got is as a gift even my computer is assambled from multiple machines that i still got in a storage room so if you can help do it if not just do something else not just posting stupid answers

12. JohnWill

Well, I don't consider the answers stupid. Being an embedded systems designer with plenty of experience building products similar to the aforementioned device, I know what it'll take to build one from scratch. However if you want to go on the impossible quest, enjoy the ride. :rolleyes:

13. paulmo_on_tour

paulmo_on_tour

John,

Actually, it isn't THAT easy to buy parts in Romania. LOL. I should know, my wife is from there. Her Mom is running Win98 and WinME *shiver* machines. One is used for one task, one for another. On both of the machines there is a seriously modified version of Paradox (modified by the wife over 10 years ago). Now 10 years ago you could get very good (at the time) accounting programmes, but not in Romania.

I keep suggesting that we send her old laptop to one of her friends from Computer Science school, but the chances of it ACTUALLY arriving are slim to none, due to the very high rate of theft in the postal system. To make matters worse, to receive a package, her friend would have to travel (by bus) across town, wait all day (no, really not joking here), maybe to retrieve her package. If it is still there. It would actually be easier to build a computer from scratch at that point. The only, safe, way we are getting her old Compaq P III laptop into the country is by carrying it in, in my luggage. As an American, I don't get questioned carrying electronics in, but her, as a Romanian had to register her laptop and pay import taxes (something like $150 USD or so) on it. She ended up leaving her video camera at the border, didn't want to pay taxes on that as well!
    (Oh, she did actually get her money back and amazing enough the camera was still there....I was shocked!)
    Of course, then there is the subject of money. $20 bucks AUS, USD or even NZD (where I'm living now) would take, for most, 2-3 days to make at work.

One of the wife's best friends from Med School makes "almost" $150 USD a week. That's with tips. Without the tips, a full Doctor makes around $100 a week. That's it. Computer Programmers make more than Doctors, they range around the $500 a week.

So making something from scratch is not so far fetched, even these days with Romania joining the EU.

Now I agree, there would HAVE to be a better way! LOL At least the electronics could be shipped in, but the case....well consider it the extreme of MODing....LOL.

Btw, look forward to you answers in the forum.

Sincerely,

Paul

14. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    FWiW, SMSC seems to offer a single chip solution. Their headquarters is in the USA but they have an office in Germany.

USB97C202
    USB2.0 ATA/ATAPI Controller

http://www.smsc.com/main/catalog/usb97c202.html

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541175

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice