1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IDE/USB converter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by roho, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. roho

roho Thread Starter

I plan to clone my laptop HD to my desktop HD. Will I need the converter with power supply or will the one without do? Thanks.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Most 2.5" enclosures or adaptors can be powered by the USB interface alone. It depends on which one you buy really.

This one here is powered by the USB port, if it needs more power it has a second USB connector: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817145368

Are you cloning the operating system? If so it probably will not boot in the Desktop and it would be a violation of the Windows license agreeement.

3. roho

roho Thread Starter

I intended to clone everything. It would take a long, long time to install everything.But if it's not the right thing to do, then I will have to re-thank it.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Actually Cloning Windows that is installed on another computer is more than just not right. It is actually unlawful. THis is known as software piracy. Also if the windows installation that exists is distributed with that Computer (Laptop or Desktop), is only legal to use on the computre it was originally shipped with.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!