1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IDE-USB issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by frogger45, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. frogger45

frogger45 Thread Starter

Hi,

I purchased an 'R-Driver II' IDE - USB cable to connect an old internal 3.5 HD to a new laptop which runs on Vista.
    Vista doesnt acknowledge the drive upon connection, and several refreshes, searches through the device manager have been wasted effort.
    Reportedly the cable is plug&play with XP and was supposed to come with a disc driver if required for other operating systems. Said driver disc didnt arrive and Im not able to get in contact with the manufacturer.

Is there a generic driver for these sorts of cables? Or does anybody have any other suggestions as to what may help me?

Any response is much appreciated.

2. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Normally, you can search for a driver via the internet. The manufacturer will possibly offer a driver via their website. However there is one concerning thing, Vista doesn't even inform you about locating new hardware. Even if Vista could not find a suitable driver they would have informed you about that and should have provided alternatives like connecting to windows update and searching for drivers. So there is possibly a hardware problem you have to deal with. Try plugging your drive to another computer and see if it is working, also try plugging it to every available usb slot of your machine.

3. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

It should work equally well with Vista without any additional drivers (plug and play). Take a look at how the drive is jumpered just to be sure its either master or slave (try it each way) and not cs or any other setting.

Can you feel and hear the drive spin up and click one or more times (hopefully softly) as the read/write arms unpark when the power is applied?

4. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

The obvious questions first. Is the drive recognised in BIOS? depending on the mobo, it may or may nor show up- my ext drive does, but to check its easiest for me to go to boot sequence and check there, dont know for yours.
    Secondly, is the drive formatted? If not, it would not show up in my computer, but should be available as an unformatted media in disk management.
    Thirdly, anything else relevant <g> :)

5. frogger45

frogger45 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply,

The only other computer I have available is a Mac unfortunately (which I have also tried but supposedly needs a manual driver install from the absent driver disc according to the small info leaflet provided with the cable), I've also tried all 3 USB ports on the Vista laptop and they each do the same.
    The hard drive was working as master in a PC I had built a year or so ago and I had just disconnected it a few weeks ago while it was in full working order, I can't imagine why the HD itself would have a problem.
    I've also searched the net for drivers and have come up with nothing.

edit-
    thanks for new responses, testing drive is BIOS now

6. frogger45

frogger45 Thread Starter

Ok, the system doesnt show the drive in bios/boot.
    The drive isnt formatted, and doesnt show as an unformatted media in disk management either.

On one occasion (third or fourth attempt) that I applied the power there was a few soft clicks, this hasnt happened since. The drive doesnt seem to want to power up.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759377

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice