1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ideas about flyers, brochures, etc?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by starchild, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

This is just personal opinions, if anyone knows what might be the best way to go.

I'm not even sure myself, what I want.

I'm using MS PUblisher 2000.

What I'd like to do is have something to show samples of work on. For example, I made business cards for a tattoo artist who is starting a business in the area. Since people like to see examples of this (aside from a business card) I got the idea of something to hand out, with small pictures of some of the tattoes he has done, a variety to show different ones. (He's taken pictures of them for his own records)

Also, I've been doing business cards, address labels, turning photos into art (putting wings on children (LOL) making designs, notecards, etc. Logos. Mainly for practice, but I'm starting to get paid for it, and getting a business loan to get better equipment to use now.

Same idea- something like a booklet, brochure, etc with some of what I do. (I know there are websites, but not everyone has computers or access to them).

I've been trying to think of all the pamphlets, hand outs, brochures I've gotten (from polititans LOL) that were professionally done. For size, type of paper, what kind of fold.

I'm thinking of something with one fold, or maybe a flyer that's folded in 4ths, can be opened up, with each quarter of the page with pictures (so when it's folded evenly it won't fold OVER a picture). Or, a regular size paper (11X8 or so) folded in half with printing on all 4 sides. The idea being easy to carry them around (if I'm talking to someone who would like to see samples) I could say "here are some samples".

The booklets (whatever) would also be a sample in themselves, for me (practice).

The ones I think of are usually thin, and glossy paper, maybe come in mail. What I'm thinking of is something a little different. Maybe a folded "tent card" (not mailed) which would be somewhat like a business card, not too big, but room for pictures on it? I think having extra pages (that woud have to be attached or stapled) might be too much.

Just thought I'd run this by people who might have experience with it and can give me ideas.

Thanks
    Carrie

2. cristobal03

cristobal03

I bet the Digital Photography & Imaging posters would be pretty interested in this thread. If you don't get a lot of response in Business Apps, you might ask a mod to move it for you.

Anyway, there's a lot that goes into graphic design (as I'm sure you know), especially so for this sort of design. Not only does it have to be aesthetically functional, it has to be economically and industrially functional as well. I think before you invest too much in a design, find out what people would like to see in a brochure. Survey some of your customers; ask them what they did or did not like about your advertising. If you had more or less word-of-mouth clients, ask them what they would expect/look forward to in advertising publications.

Then, create a design that is economically feasible given your business situation. High-resolution graphics are more expensive to print than text. Special/custom material adds extra cost. Extra pages and folds add cost. (You've noted all these things.)

But what do you want to present? A pamphlet of pictures may look great but might not explain the purpose of your business. Too much text, on the other hand, can foster disinterest due to "wordiness."

I would probably suggest a hybrid of the two on dual-side printed A4-size sheets. The material is dependent on cost factors, but also on stylistic opinion. Graphics will probably print much better on "glossy" photo paper materials because they're designed to accept and present graphical representations. Lightweight paper will be cheaper but has a tendency to bleed.

I'd probably base your design on a good website layout, because (in my opinion) that is what catches the average person's eye these days.

I dunno, you've probably already thought about all this stuff.

chris.

3. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

Thanks, Chris!

You gave me something to start on, anyway.

That's one reason I asked here. I don't really have any "customers" at this point. I'm using things I think of, to practice with.

I thought about posting it in the image topic, but where I'm using Publisher and it involves size and set up, it seemed more fitting here.

It's mainly something to play around with myself, and see what works best. I don't know a lot about paper and haven't had much different (and live in a rural area, so aside from a Staples and Walmart, 20 miles away, I have to look online and pay shipping costs)

But, I now have something to add to my list of "things to try out".

I do know how to make websites, so the idea of using a website design is good, too. Whether it catches people's attention or not might not be relevant at this point, my original idea came from people asking about, well the tattooes. And if I say I am now making business cards, I should have something I could hand them to show some ideas, etc.

~ Carrie

4. iltos

iltos

chris' suggestions are good ones, carrie...and i think the website is a good idea, too, a way of showing the full range of your "product" line, with a simple "for more info" website addy printed somewhere on the brochure

my suggestions are:
    1) consider a little more thouroughly how you plan to distribute your brochure, once you've got it done....i've had some experience with "carrying them around"....unless your willing to push them on people, they won't ask....it's seems like some kind of personal space issue....course, it could just be me :D

2) from reading your post, you might consider something along the lines of a folder....it doesn't have to as big as a conventional folder, but inside, scattered among the words you choose, could be "slips" where you could insert a sample business card, mailing label, artwork....i get the feeling that much of your work is small enough that a tactile experience might work as a selling point.

best of luck with this......i remember some time ago when you posted about this idea...maybe a different variation, but the self employed graphic artist thing all the same....you were asking then for tips on how to learn a program like photoshop, if i remember correctly

you've come along way (baby).....good for you!!:)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437194

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice