1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ideas on GOING wirless...hmmmmm

Discussion in 'Networking' started by topazbest, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. topazbest

topazbest Thread Starter

Taking the plunge to wireless. I have cable modem, but also have a laptop and another computer. I plan on buying a LINKSYS product since they seem to be sold the most locally here. I visited the LINKSYS site, and it's pretty much so general, that it is not much help. I'm not a rookie, but hoping this is an easy plug n play type of thing and not an all day affair with configuration, etc. ANY SITE OFFER GOOD STEP BY STEP TO HOOKING UP A WIRELESS ROUTER? I have the cable modem next to my present computer, so would not really need wireless on this on ( BOTH COMPUTERS ARE DELL, WINXP MACHINES LESS THAN 1 YEAR OLD, etc.), laptop is a TOSHIBA WINXP BASED ABOUT 1 year old. ANy kind souls, care to lead me through the woods?

2. wacor

wacor Banned

I think it should all be pretty straight forward since all are XP

the only thing will be to make sure you set up security on it.

and one issue that arises is with cordless phones. sometimes they can have an effect to cut out the wireless signal

I think it was pretty much plug and play as i recall on mine.

3. kalisun

kalisun

You should be able to connect the desktop computer straight into the router by way of ethernet and then if your laptop has wireless built-in then you'll be able to connect/see the wireless signal once its on..

Pretty easy setup...

unplug modem then connect the ethernet from the cable modem to the router's WAN or INTERNET port...next connect a ethernet cable from the computer to the router (one of four open ports). Next plug in the cable modem first, then let it lock in, next power up the router and give it a few mins to settle in, then turn on the desktop and once at your desktop try the Internet you should be able to get on...

As for the wireless side, after your sure the desktop is working, turn on the laptop and the "New Wireless Signal" should popup, either click on the popup or right click on the wireless icon on the bottom next to the clock, then select "View Available Wireless Networks" you should see your linksys, select it and click "connect"..that'll connect you to the router wirelessly...

The of course you'll want to secure it with WPA encryption and you'll need to login in to the router usually by typing

or

in Internet Explorer, I'm not sure what the password is to log into the router I think its admin...you might have to read the manual on that one...

4. topazbest

topazbest Thread Starter

GREAT HELP...thanks to all......

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490643

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice