1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ideas on GOING wirless...hmmmmm

Discussion in 'Networking' started by topazbest, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. topazbest

topazbest Thread Starter

Taking the plunge to wireless. I have cable modem, but also have a laptop and another computer. I plan on buying a LINKSYS product since they seem to be sold the most locally here. I visited the LINKSYS site, and it's pretty much so general, that it is not much help. I'm not a rookie, but hoping this is an easy plug n play type of thing and not an all day affair with configuration, etc. ANY SITE OFFER GOOD STEP BY STEP TO HOOKING UP A WIRELESS ROUTER? I have the cable modem next to my present computer, so would not really need wireless on this one...but other DELL is in upstairs office... ( BOTH COMPUTERS ARE DELL, WINXP MACHINES LESS THAN 1 YEAR OLD, etc.), laptop is a TOSHIBA WINXP BASED ABOUT 1 year old. ANy kind souls, care to lead me through the woods?

2. datamonger

datamonger

If you are just setting up a standard wireless network then Linksys is an excellent choice (mostly because they are now owned by Cisco). Following the instructions in the manual would be your best bet in setting up the router you purchase. Following some simple steps will reduce headaches in your adventure:

1. Install and configure WITHOUT encryption/MAC filtering/SSID disabling FIRST. Do a basic setup to get things running.
    2. Implement the highest level of encryption that the router/interface combo supports. This would probably be WPA of some sore using AES as the encryption type and the longer then key (20+ characters) the better.
    3. Optional, since each is fairly easy for a determined hacker to work around: Disable SSID broadcast and enable MAC filtering.

Do ONE step at a time, document EVERYTHING, and I would highly recommend NOT consuming any alcohol/prescription or elicit drugs, and make sure you have recently eaten.

Good luck!

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490644

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice