1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Identify Power Unit?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BornCynic, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BornCynic

BornCynic Thread Starter

I have an external Maxtor drive which is probably been fried. Sigh. Each time it is switch on it reports that the disk is not formatted. Yes, Junk, I know.

I will retain the power unit but need to know its rating - I would not wish to fry anything else. The label shows no rating, and the moribund hard disk also shows no rating. Can anyone identify it?

Attached Files:

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    You will have to take a better picture of the power wart, it is too blurry to read

3. BornCynic

BornCynic Thread Starter

Sorry dustyjay, it is rather difficult to read. I'm now advised however that the DC output is 12V. Even with the actual item in hand a friend with younger eyes than I have needed a magnifying glass to read this information.

4. cybersloth

cybersloth

Hi

how much Current 'x.xA'

To replace your power adapter:
    Your Voltage must be exact 12V
    Your Current must be equil or greater

If your power supply is fried then how come the HDD registers at all??

you may want to test the voltage emited by the supply before replacing it, it would also be a good idea to mesure it while it powers the drive if you can, if the voltage is steady under load is is unlikley that it is the supply.

c.

5. BornCynic

BornCynic Thread Starter

Hi cybersloth

The reading is 12v 2A.

The story is that the external hard disk was used for backup of data folders on my main hard drive, and for holding Acronis disk images. Unfortunately I made the mistake of running it all the time, rather than only when making a backup. To compound this basic error, because it used a rear located USB portal the available natural ventilation was probably not optimum. After two years of successful use it became increasingly slow to achieve disk speed when activated. This should have been an early warning. Sigh.

Then one morning the OS reported that the disk had not been formatted. After formatting and again backing up all the folder data plus a new disk image all seemed well - until the next day, when the procedure was repeated. The disk was recognised by Windows OS but on close down lost all formatting data.

It has now been replaced by another external hard drive at twice the storage capacity and half the purchase cost; and which does not require a power supply other than the USB port. It is only used when making a backup.

My question was prompted by a miserly need to retain the DC supply plug for some future use, but with recognition of its input and output ratings. Any suggestion of risk and I will junk it.

6. cybersloth

cybersloth

12V 2A is fairly common rating, i can see from your pic that it's got a standard type plug for the DC, I would recomend that you keep it as if it is still ok it could come in handy.

Also you may be able to replace the actual HDD inside the faulty unit, i am a firm belliver that you can never have enough storage space.

:)

7. BornCynic

BornCynic Thread Starter

A big thanks to everyone who advised me.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914202

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice