1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

.IDX files. What to do with 'em?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by junker39, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. junker39

junker39 Thread Starter

Son's PC (AMD 700, W98SE) has over a thousand .idx files in the Docs folder. I have done a Google but have found nowhere saying to keep or discard these files. He does Halo and Diablo on the net. Also burns music CDs.(legally) Some found threads say these files are from: Outlook(not used),Incredimail(not used),different databases(not used) and from the only one he does use,Nero. But not a single mention if they are safe to delete. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Interesting, I just did a search and found 614 .IDX files in my Sun Java cache, .jpi cache, in Docs and Settings. I fired up the Java plug-in in Control Panel and hit clear cache... all gone. Where are yours located exactly? I have noticed in the past that Nero generated a few. But a search of my rig (XP Pro) only turned up those.

It would appear that files of this type are safe to delete, at least in my case.

3. junker39

junker39 Thread Starter

There's 1016 in MyDocuments. The dozen or so I checked are all 32 bytes. What do you think? Maybe I will put them all in a seperate folder for a day or so and see if everything still works. If so, delete them then. Sound like a good idea? I'm clueless when there's not much info available of these things. Thanks.

4. junker39

junker39 Thread Starter

The files now have their own folder. I'll have to wait for Son to get home from school to run his games.(clueless on those too) Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272359

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice