1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE 11 Rendering Problem

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Tabvla, May 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tabvla

Tabvla Thread Starter

Default Browser : IE 11
    Optional Browser : Firefox

Many of the websites that I visit do not render correctly in IE. When viewed in Firefox they all render perfectly.

That makes me think that there is a setting in IE that is preventing sites from rendering correctly. I have looked through the settings but cannot see any obvious setting that would cause this problem.

The attached composite Screenshot is an example of what is happening.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

T.

Attached Files:

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Could be some add in that is needed for IE and you have installed on FF.

Can you provide a link, so we can see what is being used?

3. Tabvla

Tabvla Thread Starter

Hi Dave, thanks for your reply.

Yes, no problem I can provide a link (see below) to the Example Site that I showed in a Screenshot in my first post. However, just remember that this is only an example. This type of rendering is happening with probably about 1 in 3 websites. IE seems to be not rendering everything.

For another example - yesterday I had to write to an organisation and ask for information that they should have had available on their website. They wrote back saying that if I clicked on a certain Menu item I would find the information. In IE that complete Menu of 7 headings was not displayed but was in FF.

And that is typical of this problem - which I can only describe as "partial rendering" on certain sites.

T.

EXAMPLE URL

http://www.ioactive.com/labs/advisories.html

4. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    That link works just fine for me using IE 11.

You might try and reset IE to the defaults.
    Tools, Internet Options, then the Advance tab.
    Near the bottom click the "Reset" button.

5. valis

valis Moderator

worked fine for me as well, both IE and FF.

Given the tinkering you have done to that rig, you would probably do well to follow Dave's advice.

6. Tabvla

Tabvla Thread Starter

Thanks for all the ideas, your suggestions are always useful and instructive.

The problem is sort-of solved - but I really hate the solution. This is not a good solution.

Eventually I decided it had to do with something in Security. So under Settings > Internet Options > Security - I disabled "Protected Mode".

With "Protected Mode" disabled, IE now renders correctly. But that is a terrible solution. "Protected Mode" is a good tool. But the way it works in practice is not so good. For example, it prevents whole sections of a page from loading; it prevents drop-down Menus from dropping-down; it prevents Menus from displaying....... and so on.

There is nothing about any of the above functionality that presents a security risk to the user. So it is difficult to understand what "Protected Mode" is protecting when it prevents these perfectly normal operations from rendering. Even if one looks at the "Page Source", there is nothing in the code that is sinister - it is all just normal HTML.

I will mark this Thread as "Solved" - but that is a really unsatisfactory solution.

T.

7. donetao

donetao Banned

Hi! I have my Protected Mode checked and I'm not having any problems with IE!!

8. Tabvla

Tabvla Thread Starter

Thanks Gary, that is really useful info.

If I tick "Protected Mode" IE does not render correctly, if I untick "Protected Mode" it renders websites the same as FF.

:confused:

T.

9. valis

valis Moderator

may want to read this, specifically this bit:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals...rk-security-addons-cookies-metro-desktop.aspx

10. donetao

donetao Banned

Hi! The only problem I have with IE is some times the certificate boxes get checked. I don't know how that happens. Then I keep getting the certificate pop-up until I uncheck them again!! Sorry wrong screen shot.

Attached Files:

11. Tabvla

Tabvla Thread Starter

Valis, do you think that this information is still applicable to IE11 running on W8.1...?

I read the article carefully and all references are to IE10 running on W7 or W8. I am also uncertain as to whether Microsoft is referring to the same functionality or different functionality. In IE10 the terminology used is "Enhanced Protected Mode" whereas in IE11 the terminology refers to "Protected Mode". Is this just sloppy use of terminology or does it actually refer to different functionality.

The other thing is that when IE11 does not render a site correctly it is not accompanied by a "message". It just does not display key components of the site.

T.

12. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Here's my screenshot of the site in FF and PM with noscript and it looks like your IE rendering. (Windows 7 computer)
    I suspect javascript need to be enabled in IE.

Attached Files:

13. Tabvla

Tabvla Thread Starter

JavaScript is enabled - I have just checked again to make sure.

The vast majority of websites that I visit use JavaScript and it would be almost impossible to do anything meaningful on any of them if JS was disabled.

I have checked this behaviour with numerous sites and every time the rendering results are the same....

Protected Mode ON - only parts of the site are rendered, key elements of the sites are missing - e.g. Menus or Sub-Menus.

Protected Mode OFF - the entire site is rendered correctly.

T.

14. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Did you try and reset your options to the default settings?

15. Tabvla

Tabvla Thread Starter

Hi Dave, yes I have done that.

In fact on the PC that I do most of my "daily work" I have not made too many changes to the defaults. The machine hums along at a good pace and with the default settings it seems secure.

And the real head-scratcher is that it does not do this to every site - probably around 1 in 3. In fact I am never too sure what is missing unless I cross-check a site in FF.

The problem would go away if I switched Protected Mode OFF. But in my mind that is not a solution.

T.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147852

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice