IE 5.1 Installation Problems!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

KraftyOne

I use W95 & I uninstalled IE5.5 and dwnlded IE5.1 (vers. 5.00.3105.0106). I selected "run from current location" and "customize browser" and "download only" & when it finished, I restarted the computer and attempted to install it.

In "windows update setup" I clicked on "IE5 settup" and the settup wizard screen came up and said it needed to dwnld additional files in order to complete settup and it began to dwnld files for and hour and a half & then I kept getting error messages saying the site was busy & to try later. I finally gave up on it and I tried to complete the settup again today and finally It finished & said that it completed the dwnld of the settup files, but every time I try to click on the "IE5 settup" file it starts the whole process of the settup wizard thing again! So now I have two (or pos. more) sets of dwnlded IE files and I can't get anywhere with them. Also, It looks like alot of the dwnlded files are in the form of zip files...I did not choose this option because I don't know jack about unzipping or extracting or whatever!! Since I uninstalled IE 5.5 from my computer, it went back to IE 3.0 (not 4.0 like I had expected) so I don't know what to do.....Please Help! Thanks

~KraftyOne

KraftyOne

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?? I have searched here and other places for info but I can't find anything regarding this specific problem.

KraftyOne

Thanks, but that is the exact site that I used for the info on how to dwnld all of this stuff...I followed his directions step by step and I don't know what happened but I ended up with a bunch of zip files and I don't know how to open them or where to go from here.

Thanks anyway : )

Well, not having been there, done that, I'm not quite sure where you're at. But you say the download placed a lot of zip files in your Windows Update Setup directory. I would try unzipping them and then running the ie5setup, it may be looking for them and not finding them because they are still zipped.

If you have a zip program such as Winzip, all you have to do is double click on them and follow the prompts. Drag and drop them out of the Winzip directory when it opens. If you don't have Winzip, you can get it here:

http://www.winzip.com/

Get the "Evaluation" version -- it will be not expire.

KraftyOne

Yes I do have winzip, but when I double click on the files, a winzip message screen comes up that says "doesn't support that type of archive" & then it says to choose either "open the archive using the classic winzip interface" or "start the winzip wizard to open a different archive". I have tried every option at least 4 or 5 times & I can't figure it out, I just don't understand why it won't open or install anything that I've downloaded?? I guess I will try to downld IE all over again and go with the "install now" option and if that doesn't work, I think I will donate my computer to the Salvation Army and buy myself a new one! Thanks for your help and suggestions....

~KraftyOne

I use BigFix 1, 5, 0, 4...... from there I get almost everything updated.... including IE
Try it!!

http://www.bigfix.com/

you'll download this program which scans your computer & suggest updates you need

also.... (I should have said this).... the Big Fix program will list the installs & give you the option to download thru them.

buck52

Banned
Howdy KraftyOne

It took me three tries to get it right. :) You should not need to restart you computer after the downloading nor should you have to do any unzipping.
If you follow the directions exactly the whole download should go to C:\Windows Update Setup Files...clicking on the ie5setup should take you right to the Welcome to Setup page

hope that helps

good luck

buck

KraftyOne

SavvyLady & Buck52, Thank you, Thank you!!

I finally got I.E. installed and everything seems to be running fine.

~KraftyOne
doin' the Happy Dance in Texas

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online