1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE 6.0 hanging occasionally

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by FLINSGUY, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FLINSGUY

FLINSGUY Thread Starter

I am running Win XP on an HP Pavillion zt1000 (1.0 Ghz w/ 512 MB RAM). I use IE 6.0 on broadband (Road Runner cable).

A few days ago I noticed IE hangs up my system as the page attempts to finish loading. However, it doesn't seem to affect the entire system. Sometimes the other programs running (e. g. Outlook) don't appear to be affected. Sometimes they are. Essentially, I can't do much of anything until it finishes loading. I can see the status indicator at the bottom of the page is full but not yet gone. After about 10-15 seconds the page completes and I can now navigate. Each page or new site I go to seems to be affected, although not all of them. Bottom line, there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason behind the behavior.

I haven't loaded any new software or installed any new hardware. My last software install was about a month ago.
    Following are the actions I've taken so far:

1. Ran WinDoctor and Speed Disk. No change.

2. Ran Norton AntiVirus. No viruses and no change.

3. Reset Web Settings on IE. No change.

Not sure what else I can do. I thought reinstalling Win XP might help but not sure of the corrrect sequence of actions.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

does it happen with all pages your try to visit?

the reason I ask is, if it's only certain pages, it could be a java applet trying to load.

If it's not every page, can you give us some examples of which web pages cause the haning?

Also, you can try using another browser like opera, mozilla, or netscape to see if they hang also. That will help narrow it down to see if it's actually a problem with Internet Explorer or not.

3. FLINSGUY

FLINSGUY Thread Starter

It happens with many of the pages, but I can't say all of them. I haven't started a list. I do visit CNN, ESPN and Altimas.net quite often. I work in the insurance industry so I'll go to specific sites but haven't used any of them in awhile.

I also forgot to mention that IE takes a very long time to load, upwards of 30 - 45 seconds. There's been a few ocassions when I clicked on the IE link a second time because I didn't think it was going to load.

You mentioned Java applets and that may be a source of the problem. How can I disable those?

Thanks for your help.

4. Del

Del

Does the hanging seem more time related, like every 5 minutes, it hangs for 20-40 seconds,
    or
    Is the hanging seem more related to the web site??

5. FLINSGUY

FLINSGUY Thread Starter

I would say more related to the website.

6. Del

Del

Try to get a few sites that always cause the hanging, you might check the timing also, just in case it's a pattern..

7. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

to disable java to see if that is the problem, go into internet options and put security on high for the internet zone.

apply, ok out.

Then close all IE windows, load up a new ie window and give it a shot.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118057

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice