1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE 6.0 reinstall

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by davidgraham16, Jan 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davidgraham16

davidgraham16 Thread Starter

Occasionally my browser (IE 6.0) will not go to a link as it says its not available off-line (but I'm on-line when this happens?) also, the two little PC's that sit in the system tray will not allow me to disconnect by right clicking on them and choosing 'Disconnect' although the 'status' option still works. I think I will try to put a fresh copy of IE6 onto my PC from a magazine CD.
    My question is - do I first of all need to uninstall the present copy and if so, how do I do that?
    Pentium 2 Processor, 128MB RAM. 10GB HD, Win 98 first edition
    thanks in advance
    David

2. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Go to start/seetings/control panel/add/remove progs and click on remove ie6 it will give you a repair option click ok and see if that helps before doing anything else ...

3. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Regarding your other bit about being unable to disconnect when right clicking you do know that you have to left click to disconnect dont you?.......in any case you can disconnect from the status pop-up menu

4. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

There is an option to disconnect when right clicking on the tray icon....

Also, if you do decide to uninstall IE 6.0, have a boot disk handy with CD Rom support. It is entirely possible that you will receive the message "kernel32.dll caused a fault in shell32.dll" or words to that effect, after uninstalling IE 6.

I had this problem, and the system wouldn't boot past displaying the background image. There may be an easy fix, but I couldn't find one, and ended up reinstalling Windows on top of the old installation to fix the problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64536

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice