1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE 6 problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by pharper, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pharper

pharper Thread Starter

I have downloaded windows IE 6 and when I reboot it stops just before it is installed and say" you will need to restart your computer first because you have some downloaded program that need to finish installing first". I have re-started my computer many times and tried to re-install IE 6 several times. It always does the same. I did install some of the other updates before I did the IE 6, but they installed fine. I show the IE 6 as downloaded but not installed. Is there something I can do to find which update is causing the problem? I know I can do a restore, but I hate to if there is another way. Each time I restore I have to re-install my anti-virus and email system.

I have ME and now run windows IE5. I have a firewall and spyware program.

Thanks
    pharper

2. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Hi there, I dont know if this will help,its an extract from another forum having a similar problem to yours

I used to be in computer support, and I learned a long time ago of an unwritten code of behavior when installing Microsoft software: "Always install in order, from the oldest software to the most recent." It would be nice if windowsupdate took that into consideration automatically, as it would surely avoid many problems for new users. (Think of someone who installs all the hot fixes first, and then installs the big service pack. If they had installed the service pack first, most of the hot fixed would not apply, and there would not be any chance for potential conflict.....only other thing I can suggest is that one of the downloads got corrupted perhaps,could you not go to the updates site again and let it scan for any updates required,then try to install again?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217397

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice