1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE 6 SP1 update not installing.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Zuki, Apr 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zuki

Zuki Thread Starter

Windows keep telling me to install IE 6 SP 1 security update KB 832894. I can down load it but it won''t install. Two days later it bugs me again that i need it. Is there any way to make it install or turn off the nagging.

I looked in the knowledge base but found nothing.

2. Dingenium

Dingenium

First, do you get a specific error msg? What is it?

Second, what operating system is it?

When you download it, do you go for "open" or "save" on the link? AND, are you downloading it from the Microsoft download website or someplace else?

3. jwbirdsong

jwbirdsong

Actually the repeated notification of 832894 is a problem that MS is rapidly becoming aware of..I've spent the past couple of days in Microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update and this is a prevalent problem..The fix that seem to work most often is to use Start/run msinfo32, click tools/update wizard uninstall. See if you can use
    this tool to remove it(although some find it in the Add/Remove applet in Control Panel), then download the stand-alone version from the
    catalog (not WU) and install it. Let us know how it comes out, please.

4. Zuki

Zuki Thread Starter

I could not find 832894 in either place. I went to the catalogue and downloaded it. The download was really weird. You only got directions to a bulletin but it contained an download for the update. I dowloaded the up date and during the install it gave me an error message about it having an error copying MSHTML.DLL. The DLL was where it said it should be. Since I could not solve that I started out of the update and it seemed to complete the installation. WU says no critical updates available. Guess it did.

5. jwbirdsong

jwbirdsong

Is it listed now in either Add/remove or the uninstall wizard of msinfo32?? Lastly do you have a 832894UN.inf( think that's right name) in the windows\inf folder?? The first two would be a indicitive of a sucessful install; the latter not necesarily so(it can be used for 'command line' uninstall.
    The last may be in a sub folder in ....\inf..like catalog or maybe QFE.

6. icecube

icecube

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224488

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice