IE 6 won't load

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ronjb82

When I try to launch IE6 the hour glass comes on for a bit but IE6 does not launch. MY OS is MS Windows XP Pro.

My PC just developed exactly the same fault - luckily I had Opera downloaded so I installed that so I can use the net. I hope someone has a fix as many apps link to the net via IE :confused:

In my case I ran the IEfix.exe utility, reloaded iexplore.exe along the way but I still had the fault until I uninstalled a browser add-on called Fraud Eliminator. This add-on had been working fine for ages but removing it is what suddenly let IE come back to life for me. Along the way my file associations seem to have been messed a bit but I can get that resolved - IE works so all is well.

@ your desktop, Open MyComputer. In the address bar enter a url (e.g., www.yahoo.com). If it works, IE is corrupt & the IEFix "should" repair it.. If this work or doesnt work, consider this incident as a "blessing in disquise" (aka omen) - dload another browser (e.g, netscape, firefox, avant-my fav) and enjoy your surfing. (y)

In Qs, let me know.

P2E

ronjb82 said:
When I try to launch IE6 the hour glass comes on for a bit but IE6 does not launch. MY OS is MS Windows XP Pro.

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Press2Esc said:
@ your desktop, Open MyComputer. In the address bar enter a url (e.g., www.yahoo.com). If it works, IE is corrupt & the IEFix "should" repair it.. If this work or doesnt work, consider this incident as a "blessing in disquise" (aka omen) - dload another browser (e.g, netscape, firefox, avant-my fav) and enjoy your surfing. (y)

In Qs, let me know.

P2E
:confused:

My Internet Explorer works just fine, typing www.yahoo.com in the Address bar of My Computer goes to Yahoo's site.
Can you clarify what that test is supposed to prove?

In response to Ronjb82's problem, his IE did not work...

To answer you problem - If IE does not work (open) - while entering a url into MyComputer does - the problem is isolated to IE (e.g., IEFix.exe, repairing IE, etc). Although "surfing" via ControlPanel looks simular to IE and uses many of the same DLLs, it is NOT the same as entering the url via IE. Further, surfing via CP verifies your internet connectivity and TCP/IP settings... Make sense??

P2E

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online