1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ie 6

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by bruinator, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bruinator

bruinator Banned Thread Starter

Does anyone know where I can d/l a free copy of IE6 as i want to update from IE5, please?

2. new tech guy

new tech guy

You should really download a copy of internet explorer 7.0. What operating system are you using and if it is windows you can go to the microsoft website and download internet explorer for free as long as you have a legit copy of windows on the pc. Which means it cannot be downloaded anywhere and if so we cannot support the problem if that is the case.

3. bruinator

I didn't know 7 was free. I thought i had to pay and yes, my OS is legit. Can I install it on 2000 server, please?

4. bruinator

this is what I get when i try 7, it says Internet Explorer 7 is not available for your operating system

Where can I get 6, please?

5. new tech guy

new tech guy

6. Cleo8

Cleo8

7. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Or better yet FireFox 1.5
    IE6 is safe if you don't mind changing settings.

8. new tech guy

new tech guy

However, The user does not want to load another browser. My sister (less computer comptent than I) runs internet explorer 7 and with a properly setup system, she is still perfectly safe. Run the right programs and know how to take care of your unit and spy ware/viruses will be a rare occurance if ever.

9. Leec65

Leec65

10. smbd

smbd

I also recommend you to use Firefox. I can honestly say that I hate IE7 and I think IE6 is better, but Firefox is the winner in any case(y) . So I'm quite agree with Cleo8.

11. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

I don't see where the OP says or implies this. Additional suggestions were made after link for IE6 was supplied.
    IE5? This is an old computer. It is my belief the user will experience great benefits using Firefox 1.5 such as browsing much faster. It made a world of difference on my old computer.

12. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

There isn't a thing wrong with IE6. Whether to use IE6 or Firefox or Opera is a matter of personal preference.

13. new tech guy

new tech guy

U understand that xp, however, the user never mentioned they wanted more software either. They just wanted to update their existing software. I do agree that they are good programs however, you need a working, up to date copy of internet explorer to receive windows update. And in my previous post, if ie is set up correctly, the system will remain secure.

14. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Ditto. I too had said that previously.

15. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You should be able to download IE6 for 2K Server direct from Microsoft.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542167

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice