1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE 7/6 Problems

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by golfer2, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. golfer2

golfer2 Thread Starter

I just upgraded to XP SP2 and installed IE 7 at the same time. Both installations went well but there was a problem with IE7. My home page (Road Runner) contains links to AP Video News and CNN Video News. IE7 will not let me play these videos. It puts out a message that says it blocked access to the site because it is an unknown zone. I disabled Zone Alarm and popup blocker but this did not help so I uninstalled IE7 and reverted back to IE6. The problem now still exists in IE6 which it didn't before the upgrade to IE7. Also the problem does not exist if I use Netscape Navigator. So what did IE 7 screw up and how do I fix it?

2. DKTaber

DKTaber

Others more expert than I will probably have better ideas, but I need to ask a question. When IE7 "blocks" access to the videos, do you see a band under your toolbars with a yellow background indicating that the attempted connect to (whatever) has been blocked? If you do, put the cursor in that yellow band, right click and chose to allow whatever it is that has been blocked. IE7 is positively paranoid and blocks essentially all ActiveX files, etc. So you have to pay attention to that little band under the toolbars to see why some things don't immediately work.

3. firestormer

firestormer

It might also be possible your IE security settings are too high. Go Tools> Internet Settings> Security >

Then click Restore Defaults (or similar)

If the problem perstist you could try adding the blocked sites to your Trusted list. Which can also be found in the same place.

4. golfer2

golfer2 Thread Starter

Thanks for the response to my problem.

Answer to DKTaber: Yes IE7 did display the yellow bar. When I right click the bar the only meaninful option was to download and save the file. It did not give me the option to add the site to my trusted list. I did download and save the file one time but because of the weird filename extention, there was no known application that could open the file.

Answer to firestormer: I did try down grading my security settings to defauts and lower but this did not help.

Continueing mystery: After removing IE7 and restoring IE6, how come the problem is still there which it wasn't before IE7 was installed? I'm beginning to wonder if the problem is being caused by a fault in SP2 rather than anything to do with the IEs. I wish now that I didn't install both SP2 and IE7 at the same time. WE GROW TO SOON OLD AND TOO LATE SMART.

Thanks again.

5. DKTaber

DKTaber

OK. The resolution of your problem may be best addressed by Microsoft. Until Nov. '07, the provide FREE tech support for IE 7. I suggest you call them. Contact information can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/support/default.mspx.

FYI, I had an issue with IE 7, contacted them, and they actually called me and we solved the problem by phone. I was very pleased with this, because MS is typically unresponsive to 90% of Windows problems because they will only entertain your request if you got Windows from Microsoft. Most people get it on the computer they bought, so they tell you you have to contact the computer manufacturer, which in most cases is a lost cause.

6. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Just a thought can you not use System Restore and go back to before you installed SP2 and IE7,and then install again singly,checking each time to see if the problem is there? just as an aside I have both IE7 and SP2 and tried the sites you mention and they do both run OK,and so to me it does look just like a setting somewhere that is barring them ....the question of course is where ? Since it is required that you have SP2 before you can install IE7,that would be your best starting point, FWIW, I think its most likely that SP2 is causing the problem ....

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/535790

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice