1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE 7 Authentication Loop

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by sk8ter10121, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sk8ter10121

sk8ter10121 Thread Starter

I currently have a user who is experiencing what looks to me as an authentication loop for a specific website. What happens is it prompts for the user/pass, which he inputs correctly, and it automatically comes back eventually locking his account. I know he knows his information because he can login without issue on another seat. I've gone through the normal steps of clearing cache, settings within IE, verified the HP program (I cant remember the name offhand but after forum crawling it just became a step) wasnt installed, even to the extent of recreating his profile. Each time I keep coming back to this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    In IE7, did you do the factory reset (Located in the Advanced section of Internet Options)?

Also have you tried another browser?

3. sk8ter10121

Been through reseting to factory defaults, and unfortunately IE7 is the only approved browser on the network I work with :(

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Thats not good... so IE8 is not supported?

As to the issue, I don't know what would cause this issue... so to confirm when you log in once, it kicks back unable to log in/locked out?

5. sk8ter10121

Unfortunately no on IE8, they will only support IE7 given the restrictions in place currently.

What it basically looks like is the standard username/password window comes up when he goes to the link, he inputs the information, clicks submit and it pops up the same username/password window repeatedly.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    as in additional pop ups?

7. sk8ter10121

No additional pop ups other then the username/password window that originally appeared. The information bar on IE doesnt drop down when this happens as well so popup blocker is out =/.

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    What I meant was the login pop up replicates itself (so you have 10 logins showing). Well if the Delete Browsing History and Reset did not work, there's not much you can do other than uninstall/reinstall... but I don't know if IE7 is available to reinstall.

Are these computers using an image, as in the IT people installed windows via an image?

9. sk8ter10121

The only way I would be able to uninstall/reinstall on this network would be a straight reimage, just trying to circumvent really. As far as the original its replicates the original window without opening new versions i.e. the multiple layered effect.

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I'm am out of ideas. I know of a version of Chrome that can be used without being installed, but most likely will be against your network policy so really without a new browser to test, the reimage may be the only thing you can do.

11. ozziebeanie

ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    Sometimes IE or Outlook play up when an older password is on the computer, if he was using another password on that computer previously but has used a newer one on other computers, so if you go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Credential Manager If windows 7 I (think) it’s under Users in XP Pro, and remove anything in there from the vault.

This will wipe out any older passwords he may have had, other than those stored by IE as in sign on passwords. if not back to the drawing board

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!