1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE 7 beta2 cannot be uninstalled

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by preet_kumar, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. preet_kumar

preet_kumar Thread Starter

I have windows xp home SP2

I tried to install IE beta 3, but for this installation, beta 2 needed to be uninstalled. When I tried to uninstall it from 'Add/Remove' in control panel, I got the message that to uninstall it, I must log onto the same user account from which it was installed. I alway log on from only one user account, which is mine (I have not created any other user accounts), and this account is also the administrator account.

I would appreciate if someone could explain why I am getting this message, and more important what I can do to be able to uninstall this version of IE, so that I can install the newer version (I opened regedit, and rt licked on Internet explorer in HK-LM and HK-CU, under 'software, microsoft' and the permissions tab shows full control under my name).

Thank you,
    Preet

2. fatbobthefirst

fatbobthefirst

Weird.
    But did you try to uninstall in Safe Mode

3. preet_kumar

fatbobthefirst,
    I did not think that uninstalling from the sfae mode will work. However, I did try it after reading your post. It did not work.

Preet

4. fatbobthefirst

fatbobthefirst

Thanks for letting me know. Wasn't sure it would either. But now I know.

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Found this on the web -- have no idea if it will work.

>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/

Download an unzip the attached file and then run it and confirm the merge to the registry.

Attached Files:

6. preet_kumar

Thanks to all who have made suggestions. For me now these are moot. I had to do a clean insatll of windows xp, as my computer did not boot. So I just installed IE 7 beta 3. I had to install it from the safe mode.

However, it is useful to know the possible remedies if such a situation were to arise again.

Preet

7. matt-h

matt-h

system restore, thats what i did, as i got bsod's trying to uninstall beta2.
    but after all that, why did you reinstall it again (albeit the next beta version)

8. preet_kumar

matt-h,
    I had no problem with ie7 beta2; I wanted to uninstall it in order to install beta3 (beta 3 cannot be installed without uninstalling previous versions of ie 7). I do not remenber if I tried system restore, but did not find a restore point before installation of beta2.

However, I have encountered problems with beta3, which the beta support team will try to resolve tomorrow. I shall post the problems and solutions (if they find any) in a separate post.

Preet

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!