1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ie 7 crashes

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by livefury, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. livefury

livefury Thread Starter

Hi

I am having problems with IE7 crashing. I have run all spyware and adware programs, I even uninstalled them as well as some other programs that I thought might be causing problems. I disabled the shell extensions that were not Microsoft or Windows IE.

I monitor calls on a site--I call up popups that contain the calls--I go along fine and then out of no where the windows freeze up and I cant get out. Then i get the "IE needs to close....."
    I have been working on this site for 3 years now and never had a problem. I do this at my day job too and I haven't had any problems.

I am running Windows XP, Serv Pak 2, IE7 and Bellsouth DSL FastAccess Extreme

Any idea what I could do next? Please let me know
    Thanks
    Livefury

2. KugarWeb

KugarWeb

Is this just an IE7-only problem or are all of your Internet Browsers malfunctioning? If you can somehow get Firefox or Safari onto your machine and if the same thing happens it could help since it would be an overall problem.

Have you also tried reinstalling IE7?

3. livefury

livefury Thread Starter

Well it started with IE6, I was told it might be that-so I downloaded IE7 and it is still happening.

Yes I tried Firefox , I can't use the Quicktime player and I had trouble with the Windows Media Player plugin, so I never really pursued things anymore. I went back to IE.

I seem to be able to do my calls on my laptop at work--

Any other ideas? COuld it be some kind of malware?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Livefury

4. KugarWeb

KugarWeb

Hi there,

With regards to Firefox, it should just be a case of looking around on Google for a couple of plugin updates, something like "firefox quicktime plugin" or similar. At least then you will be able to get onto the Internet without it crashing :)

As for the IE problems, I would suggest if you haven't tried these programs yet to give them a try. The normal scanners I use for malware etc. are Spybot Search And Destroy and Ad-Aware. These should pick up any problems after a few minutes of scanning but I'm unsure as to where to go next if that doesn't turn anything up. It certainly doesn't seem to be a problem with your Internet overall anyway.

Spybot Search And Destroy: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
    Ad-Aware: http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-20...=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5&cdlpid=10045910

5. livefury

livefury Thread Starter

Thanks for your help:)

6. KugarWeb

KugarWeb

Cool, did that solve it then? :)

7. livefury

livefury Thread Starter

no not really

i had already run spybot and adware before I asked for help

I need some other options

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699119

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice