1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE 7, Firefox 2, or Opera? Favorite Browser and Why?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Jack1000, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

Guys,

Last night, I downloaded Firefox 2 and now I have all three of the "Big Guy" browsers. I wanted my users to have freedom of choice with regards to what browser they wanted to use:

I want to begin this discussion by saying something very important and often overlooked:

THERE IS NO ONE BROWSER THAT YOU WILL EVER BE 100% SATISFIED WITH. THERE IS NO ONE BROWSER CURE-ALL. THERE ARE PLUSES AND MINUSES TO ALL OF THEM:

Similarities of Opera 9, IE 7, and Firefox 2.0, do stress an important point: the need for advanced security. Each provides anti-phising technologies, stronger encryption, and streamlined technologies that provide enhanced on-line security and better stability in some regards. The stability issue is open to debate because of the "New Technology" being exposed to bugs and different environments.

It is essential to understand the IE has been the crux of Windows OS technology. My view is that one simply can not isolate IE from the rest of the Windows OS. Microsoft has maintained that IE 7 is SUPPOSED to be less-contingent on Windows OS protocols than previous versions. (A view that I don't buy.) When you update IE, you're not just updating IE, you're updating Windows. Even Windows XP, established in 2001 was known NOT to have the security-issues that it needed to have.

My view is that MS made a critical mistake by relying on the IE 6 browser technology for too long a time. Updates were not being made available to IE users as often as they should have been. Windows XP SP-2 made SOME improvements with the pop-up blocker and patched several needed security vulnerabilities. Outlook Express was also given some upgrades with regards to image-blocking. But it was STILL old IE 6 that was used for Windows 98. And Windows 98 was NEVER intended for security.

The stand-alone browsers like original Mozilla Netscape, and the new Firefox, even Opera created web-browsers that were not so OS dependent. Being "Open Sourced" the developers were able to address bugs and security concerns without changes that would effect all of Windows. MS was forced to play catch up in releasing IE 7, which was intended for Vista. (Back when it was code-named Longhorn) with some good improvements like anti-phishing technology, a better pop-up blocker over Windows XP SP-2, and Tabbed browsing. However, much of these developments were already implemented by Opera and Firefox.

Some sites do require IE because they are so tightly integrated with Windows and that's not necessarily a bad thing. There was information released that over 50 MILLION users are still on Windows 98. I can not recommend IE 6 to these users anymore because of the security vulnerabilities in Windows 98. Better for them to go to XP. I would advise waiting a good 6 months to a year on Windows Vista. Vista is too new and buggy because of it being new. Third-party software, especially in the areas of security needs time to work out the bugs.

I have no favorite browser because each have +'s and _'s concerning their functionality. I would like to see updates addressed to block banner ads in a better way without the need to download additional software. Firefox has this right-click option. But I would rather not have to hover the mouse over such adds at all.

Jack

2. Crusnik

Crusnik

IE6 was trash, and Firefox used to be the only way to go. IE7 is on-par with Firefox 2, so either are a great choice now. At least thats what my expereince has been. Though I do not like Firefox's download manager, kinda annoys me. And IE7 is only good to use, after the struggle of upgrading it =p!

Use Opera on the Wii and my phone =D. Having built in flash is a very nice feature, especially when you are running Opera on devices that you can't install flash on.

3. TOGG

TOGG

As a 98 user I was running IE 5/6 with lots of features disabled (and having problems with updates as a result) until I switched to Opera when you could still pay to remove the advert (which I did).

Except for collecting the last few CriticaL Updates I never used IE again and was certainly much safer as a result. If it wasn't for the shared components/integration issue, I would gladly send IE to the Recycle Bin!

I agree with the view that no piece of software is perfect and it is (just) possible that IE7 may be safer to use than its predecessors, although I would reserve judgement for at least a year.

My choice of Opera was just because it was the first alternative browser I tried, it worked 'out of the box' and I liked using it, QED. I have a copy of Firefox and have no particular problems or complaints about it. I'm not particularly bothered about playing with the various add-ons or extensions so I only have NoScript.

4. dondersjoris

dondersjoris

opera 9.1 is not completly compatible with all mouse (in my case touch-pad) drivers... +
    there is a lot to adjust (getting rid of exesive buttons etc) before using. Compared with FF or IE7 this one is a lesser choise...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542631

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice