1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE 7 For XP SP-2 Slated For Fourth Quarter Release Through Windows Update

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Jack1000, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

Guys,

FYI: Microsoft plans to ship the final relese of IE 7 sometime during the four quarter of 2006 through Windows Update. The release will be made avaliable to users running Windows XP SP-2 through BOTH Automatic and Manual Windows Updates. HOWEVER, users will be presented with a screen before installation to:

1.) Install the Update

2.) Don't install the update

3.) Be prompted at a later time.

Additionally, a PERMINENT automatic update blocker for IE 7 will also be provided. This blocker will NOT prevent manual installations of the program by doing a CUSTOM Install at the Windows Update site nor prevent the installation of any CD Rom software through which IE 7 is included.

More information can be found here:

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+tags+.../2100-7350_3-6098500.html?tag=ne.gall.related

Jack

2. Red Boy

Red Boy

Thanks, Jack. I for one will download and install as soon as it is available on Windows Update.

Red Boy

3. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

I'm middle of the road,

I appluad MS's decision to come out with a safer and more secure browser (Long overdue.) However, any new software or system, especially a MAJOR overhaul such as this is bound to have bugs even after the final release. Companies and sites also need time to adjust and I am sure that several service packs will need to be released to get the bugs out. (i.e When Windows XP SP-2 was released, I was told that updates were being released every other day to patch compatability issues.) So, I am planning to click CANCEL on the update notification through automatic update, and will wait for TWO MONTHS to allow the major issues to be worked out. Current problems with the Beta include some issues with real-streaming sites and several secure on-line backing services are also non-compleint or resistent to the new software. Updated AV definitions, with proper updating and scanning monthly or so with quality malware removal products: (good anti-virus, (i.e AVG) AdAware SE, Spybot S & D, Spyware Blaster, and Windows Defender,) in addition to safe handling of e-mail attachments and using common sense when going to sites should protect your computer just fine with IE 6 in the meantime. Monthly running of Windows Update for the other components is a plus as well.

But, I don't want to get stuck with "Too New, Too Soon syndrome."

Jack

4. Red Boy

Red Boy

Certainly makes sense, Jack. I have two friends of mine running the beta version of IE7, and swear by it. No problems. But, I am also reading about others having no end of problems. Your suggestions are probably wise ... and have given me food for thought.

Red Boy

5. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

Red,

You know the more I think about this, the more I am thinking of postponing my install time till somebody tells me the new version is really necessary. When we see an "IE 7 SR-1" instead of the stand alone, I will feel better. I am becoming less and less in a hurry to install this upgrade.

Jack

6. Red Boy

Red Boy

I think you are probably right, Jack. I don't know why I feel so anxious to try IE7. Guess because it is something new -- which is probably a good reason not to set up. And anyway I use Opera and Firefox browsers more than IE. I think I'll probably follow your lead and delay installing, until such time as it appears sound.

Red Boy

7. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

I was told when I got XP that unless you are a business user or use Outlook, to keep Office 97. ($400+ upgrade price is too high for home user.) So that's what I did. If any of you have the new IE 7 now and an older version of Office, (97, 2000?) Do you see any compatability issues? I would think that I would be ok.

Jack

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487253

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice