1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE 7 reviews?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by lola2001, Oct 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

IE7 is available on Microsofts website now as I'm sure you all are aware. I WANT to download it but I'm afraid. I'm used to IE6 and I don't want any problems or issues to occur. I once downloaded Firefox and it was so different I hated it.

So, those of you who have it already, can you tell us scaredy cats what it is like and if you would recommended it? And if not, why?

2. Hunz

Hunz

Well, If you hated FireFox, chances are you're going to hate IE7. The familiar menu bar (File, Edit, View, Favorites, Tools, Help) is GONE by default although you can get it back by going into the options. The Icons are all moved around. The tabs take getting used to, and quite a few other differences make IE7 not to be upgraded to lightly.

[​IMG]

It's not all bad though. Most people (including myself) seem to like the new layout. I haven't found anything that I use to be broken by IE7. Once you get past the new interface, it can be easier to use, but that's a relative judgement. The tabs can really be quite useful.

If you decide to try it and then don't like it, it is uninstallable via Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs.

3. Jack1000

Jack1000

Well,

I will get it for reasons of better security than IE 6. But right now, the software is far too new, which means bugs. I'm waiting until December 1st. This is my tentitve scheduled date to upgrade to IE 7. At that time, I am hoping that the product will have found a niche in the computer community among companies, users, and websites. This grace period will allow for needed time with any new software for the bugs to be worked out.

I am sure I will like the new IE 7. However, the product needs more time to be accepted into the community.

Jack

4. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Iinstalled it yesterday and it works just fine,there is absolutely nothing to be worried about,it was all over in about 10 minutes (provided you have broadband) will take longer obviously if you are on dial-up,this has been on Beta for quite a while now and I can see no problems with it,had no problems whilst using it on Beta either,admittedly the top bars look a little different,but you get used to it in no time,everything is still there,just in a different place ....Go ahead you wont regret it (y) :) Its not a bit like going from IE6 to firefox,you will hardly notice any difference I promise ....

5. marie500

marie500

Hunz you didn't put it in Classic View, is that right? Because the "IE In Classic View" thread said you don't have to use tabbed browsing. Possibly meant you don't have to use tabbed in the other View EITHER, but he was specifically addressing Classic View. I don't have it yet so don't know for sure, but it must be some menu selection to check - somwhere. I like the old way in Classic View. Can't stand Firefox for the life of me.
    I don't want to leave the year 1998, LOL!

6. StoryAngel

StoryAngel

I've been using IE7 beta for a few months now. I'd always been an advocate of Crazy Browser and loved the tabs it provided, so I was excited to see how the IE7 tabs would work out. Personally, I'm not that keen on the interface. When you click on a new link, it defaults to opening a new window and not a new tab - you have to press Ctrl when you click a link for it to open the tab. This seems IMHO to defeat the idea of tabs. I've also had some problems where websites won't render properly in IE7 (our corporate website being one of them!) so you do have to be careful. However, I do think it's an improvement on IE6. I just prefer Crazy Browser, or Netscape, both of which I still use, except when certain programs/sites demand IE.

All the best with making your decision and I'm sure there are lots of people on TSG who will hold your hand if you're scared making the switch! :D

7. golferbob

golferbob

downloaded it thurs ,no problems with it ,just takes a minute to find all the items [they moved them around].

8. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

Ok.....I'm going to go ahead and give it a try.....especially since I can uninstall it (didn't know that, thanks)!

Thanks to everyone who provided your opinion. I was happy to see it is mostly good. I do like the idea of the tabs. I'll let you know how I like it in the next couple of days after I've had a chance to give it a fair try.

:)

9. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

Ok...I'm not going to download it. I didn't know you needed windows xp, I've got 2000. Oh well, I guess by the time I upgrade my OS, IE8 will be out, haha!

Thanks anyway you all. Hopefully this thread will help others that actually HAVE xp to decide. :)

10. Hunz

Hunz

Actually, I've been using the beta for a while. You can enable the classic menu (it's not enabled by default as I indicated before) and you can turn off the tabs if you like, but there really isn't a "Classic View."

To enable the classic menu, Click the "Tools" icon and enable "Menu Bar." To turn off the tabs, Click "Tools, Internet Options." On the general tab, click "Settings" button in the "Tabs" area near the bottom. As with IE6, you can rearrange the toolbars by first unlocking the toolbars and then "customize" them.

However, there's no way to make IE7 look like IE6 in the fact that you can't put the Back, Forward, Home, etc buttons back where you expect them and you can't put the menu bar completely in the upper right, where you expect it. The Address bar is firmly rooted at the top and there is no dislodging it. It takes a little getting used to but I like it with the classic menu and the tabs enabled. Although I'm still a big fan of Firefox and will only use IE when I have to, I would recommend people give it a try. Once I started working with a tabbed interface, I soon wondered how I ever lived without it.

[​IMG]

Hunz :D
    Wizard of FM and Minor miracles

11. Five

Five

I had IE7 beta for several months. NEver got used to it. Hated it more and more everyday. I couldn't figure out what the tabs were for, they seem a useless waste of space.
    Favorite HAD to be put in folders.
    Finally had my computer guy get me back to IE6. Whew! Only problem I find is that all the favorites that I had save while in 7, have vanished.

12. Jack1000

Jack1000

OK IE 7 installation question,

Are you supposed to temporarily disable your AV program and firewall until the install is complete or just your AV program? (I have XP SP-2's firewall.)

Jack

13. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

The installation set up does suggest that you do disable,so I suppose its best that you do ...however I did not disable and everything went ok .....

14. Spider111

Spider111

I downloaded IE7 and for some unknown reasons it just crashed my system. Fortunately my system was restored by True Image. I tried to istall IE7 again and it installed without any problems. I like it very much,more than IE6.It's new design is very convenient for me.

15. golferbob

golferbob

yes , disable your antivirus program.that might be what caused your problem. i downloaded last week with no problem.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/511060

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice