1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE 7 won't open

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hypochondriac, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hypochondriac

hypochondriac Thread Starter

I have a weird problem. For a a few days now I can't use Internet Explorer. It will open then after about 20 seconds it will close. I can't reopen it after that

I get no error messages when it closes or when I double click and try to reopen it. The hour class appears then disappears and then nothing. I usually use firefox so not sure how long IE wasn't it was at least 2 month ago when It last worked.

I have no system restore points so can't do that. I already scanned my system for viruses and spyware using mcafee and webroot. It's clean

Have XP SP2 upgraded to SP3 a few days ago noticed the problem thought it might be due to SP3 so I uninstalled SP3 but the problem still exists.

Summary: IE 7 closes after the computer loads and then won't open.

I'm posting a hijackthis log just in case
    Thanks in advance

2. xconwayx

xconwayx

I have had similar problems. It could possibly be a corrupt file. Have you attempted to download a fresh copy, uninstall the old, and reinstall the new? My concern is that unless you manually uninstall it, it could leave the corrupt files and not correctly perform the new installation.

Hope this helps.

3. hypochondriac

hypochondriac Thread Starter

Thanks but How would I manually uninstall IE 7? I have no idea what files to keep and what to remove. Also there is no uninstaller for IE 7 in the add/remove programs window

4. xconwayx

xconwayx

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!