IE 8 Unstable

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

puppypaws

I am running XP Pro with IE8, there is a problem when I attempt to copy and paste, I can put the pointer on where I want to start highlighting and it will not follow the movement of the mouse when attempting to highlight. You can put the pointer on a sentence and hold the mouse while sliding and it will not highlight, or it may start highlighting somewhere in the middle or maybe not at all. I have tried from bottom up and top down, it makes no difference, this is driving me crazy because I use the copy and paste feature quite often. I've never had this happen before, something appears to be conflicting; but I've been running the same programs for a long period of time and never seen this before. Has anybody ever been bothered with this problem, and if so what was your fix? Thanks to anyone willing to help!

First Name
RWF
I also had this happen.
Fixed by going to:
Tools/Internet Options/Security Settings/Custom Level/Drag and drop or copy paste files
It was Enabled but selected Disable then reselected Enable
OK and Apply
I've had no problems since.

puppypaws

Nope, I followed your instructions and the first thing I tried to copy it started, and when I moved across the sentence it stopped highlighting; then a round circle with a line throuh it popped up, when I released the mouse button it highlighted the entire body of the typed content.

puppypaws

Yes, I keep this computer extremely clean, I clean the prefetch, temp files and run disk cleanup on a regular basis.

First Name
RWF
If your using other toolbars they may be conflicting with IE8 as it has a toolbar. Also could be an update from another program or even the Microsoft Updates that came out today. Some websites also block copy & paste. It's also possible you picked up a bug as their everywhere these days. Java has a bug in it and it should be removed too. You could try a free online scan at... http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm or http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ or http://www.bitdefender.com/scanner/online/free.html or http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner i will check on you tomorrow as I have to go for now. Best Wishes !!!

DoubleHelix

Banned
This problem only happens when copying text from Internet Explorer? What site, specifically? Post a link to it.

puppypaws

No bugs, I've run Trend Micro for years and never had a virus of any type, I just ran House Call and Spybot Search & Destroy as well, nothing found except a small amount of spyware.

DoubleHelix

Banned
I asked if the problem was only with Internet Explorer. Is your e-mail provider web-based and also access through the browser?

puppypaws

Yes, IE is the browser, it happens with web based along with non web based.

DoubleHelix

Banned
Okay. I'll try one more time.

Are you only having copying and pasting problems with Internet Explorer? Or are you having the same problems with Notepad as well?

DoubleHelix

Banned
Then the problem has nothing at all to do with Internet Explorer.

Try a different mouse.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online