1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE and Refresh issue/back button

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by MeinDCIC, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MeinDCIC

MeinDCIC Thread Starter

I have a new computer and it doing odd things - Web site I have gone to all the time prior to this new system would let me use the back button - Now on some pages when I use my back button I get this error:

Warning: Page has Expired The page you requested was created using information you submitted in a form. This page is no longer available. As a security precaution, Internet Explorer does not automatically resubmit your information for you.

To resubmit your information and view this Web page, click the Refresh button

It requires extra clicks to bring back the info again - what a pain!
    Help?

2. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

That isn't an error, but a system in place for your own protection. Some pages expire after some time.

Take one example. You logged into your Hotmail account and suddenly your machine got stuck somewhere and you couldn't start it for 4 hours. In the mean time, if the page doesn't expire, someone else will be able to open it and log in your place and delete your mails and change your password!!

Its a feature, not an error!!

By the way, which browser do you use? Which version?

3. MeinDCIC

MeinDCIC Thread Starter

It's IE 6 and this is a site that I never have had this problem with in the past - I open one page and than move back and I get the error. I understand how it can be a plus with a hotmail acct, but not with a page with a simple search to find data or info?!?

Can it be adjusted?

4. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

This may be a site specific feature. Does this happen in all sites?

A search engine may be disposing off a page to ensure that its servers are not cluttered up with dynamically generated pages.

5. sweetkitten

sweetkitten

I use IE6 and get the same thing. Personally, I have just started using "open in new window" when I know I'm going to be using the back button on a site that activates the expiration function. That's all I can suggest on the topic, really.

Just recently, when this happens to me, I refresh the page... which causes IE to shut the window, leaving me with just the popup window asking to hit retry or cancel. *That* is frustrating. You can't refresh a page that's no longer there!

Like I said, the only way to work around this that I've found is right clicking and opening in a new window. I'd love to hear if anyone else has a way to bypass the expiration function, or if someone can tell me why IE closes the window on me...

6. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

I used to use IE and also Right Click + "Open in New Window" so frequently that my Task Bar used to get extremely cluttered. On top of it, if I am checking my Yahoo and Hotmail both mails together and open each mail in a new window, I used to have some trouble finding the right window. It was really irritating.

Then I came across Netscape 7 and boy!! I have since then stuck on to it. It has something called Tabbed Browsing. That way now I open one window for Hotmail and other for Yahoo. All the links from each one is opened in a separate tab in the same window. Its extremely convenient. Have a look at the attached picture. I use the same thing while browsing TSG Forums. Each separate department in one window and all links from there in tabs in the same window.

Netscape 7 browser has come a long way from what it used to be. But unfortunately, e-mail client is still as pathetic as it used to be. Outlook Express beats it hands down in features as well as ease of use.

Attached Files:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112089

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice