IE and virtual machine

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Gill

Hi folks;

I'm having problems installing java virtual machine (again.) I've been trying for 3 days but keep getting corrupt files and have to start all over again.
What is the best site to download it from?

Why does IE 6 not have virtual machine on it? I'm thinking of uninstalling it and downloading IE 5.5 instead, because that already has it on, but I always have problems downloading IE 5.5 too.

Gill

Gill
IE 6.0 Does not come with Virtual Machine because MS and Sun were feuding and MS decided not to supply Suns Java VM control package. However buried in one of the updates at MS is the VM package but is not available for separate download through them.
There is several places where the download can be had one of them is listed below.

Bryan has supplied a download link, see fourth post.
http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88910&highlight=virtual+machine

Dave

Gill

Thanks for the link Davey, I'll have a try downloading from there, hopefully it will be more succesfull than the sun java link i've been using.

Thanks again

Gill

Gill

Hi Davey

unfortunately that link didnt work either, I get the message "cannot open the file, does no to appear to be a valid archive"

I'm going to uninstall IE 6 and download IE 5.5
While I download IE5.5 should I turn my AVG and zone alarm off?

Gill

Gill
If you successfully downloaded the link I gave you the file is in .zip format and must be unzipped before its use.
If you do not have a zip utility on board you can download and setup Winzip at www.winzip.com
It is free for evaluation and the eval never expires. Zip utilities are great for packing up and sending larger files over the internet because it compresses them for transmission.

Dave

The MS-VM download isnt complete...you'll get that Winzip error msg if the zip file is corrupt/incomplete...try downloading the file again.

But if you insist on reverting back to IE 5.5 then go ahead. Np. I did the same ;)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online