1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE cannot reach several sites

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Blondjeff, Jun 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Blondjeff

Blondjeff Thread Starter

For the last 4 or 5 days I've not been able to connect to several sites including: Microsoft.com, windows update (and several other MS related sites,) iwon.com and connections to a number of sites have slowed to a crawl.

This is occurring on two computers
    1. XP Pro SP2
    2. 2k Pro SP4

I have a third computer running 2000 Server with no problems connecting to any site.

The XP SP2 upgrade was over a month ago and I've had no problems related to that other than my computer slowing down a bit.

What really throws me is this occurring on two different computers using different O/S's. I've checked the IE security settings tab and the advanced tab on all three machines (they are all set to default)

Note: I've been running MS Antispyware on these two machines for several weeks with no problems. I also run Spybot on the 2k machine.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi..and welcome..
    You do not say that you have an Anti virus program running on your two systems..
    Do you and are they up to date?
    Also Ad-Aware...link below..another vital tool to protect your systems..;)

3. Blondjeff

Blondjeff Thread Starter

I'm running AVG on all three systems; they are up to date and I've just completed a full scan with nothing found.

Nothing was found by Spybot or Ad-Aware.

I appreciate your help; Any other thoughts?

4. Blondjeff

Blondjeff Thread Starter

I cannot ping the sites mentioned above; if I run tracert I time out after about the 15th hop.

5. pr0t3st

pr0t3st

Are you receiving "This page cannot be displayed ..." errors? Could be a problem with TCP/IP, but don't quote me on that... Here's the fix for it (just in case):

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

The command above will reset the TCP/IP stack, thus, should fix any browsing issues you may be having. Execute from the Start Menu >> Run box. When you press Enter, the command console will appear and disappear almost instantly... Restart your computer.

6. Blondjeff

Blondjeff Thread Starter

I've done as you suggested but no cigar. Per tracert, my connection is good until I hit some server in no mans land. Does that mean the problem relates to that server or am I thinking incorrectly? I timed out after hitting server: pos1-0.tke-12ix-1b.ntwk.msn.net [207.46.155.5], however, I can't ping that site or several before it.

???

7. pr0t3st

pr0t3st

I can't ping "pos1-0.tke-12ix-1b.ntwk.msn.net" either... However, when I try pinging [207.46.155.5] I get this:

Reply from 203.113.33.9: Destination net unreachable.

Ping statistics for 207.46.155.5:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% lost) ...

???

8. Blondjeff

Blondjeff Thread Starter

Still having the problem re: can't reach several internet sites; the problem wouldn't be so bad but the sites that can't be reached include about a dozen sites I use almost daily!

I also can't use windows update - I get to the page alright but then get an error msg. that my computer time or date is wrong (The time and date are correct.)

9. mike5532g

mike5532g

10. Blondjeff

Blondjeff Thread Starter

Mike,

I've checked my Hosts file and the only thing there is the Microsoft example.

I appreciate the link to: [Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File] but don't understand how this will help in my current situation. (Perhaps you could clarify for me.) I can get to 90 - 95% of sites with no problem; however, the sites I can't reach include sites I use quite often.

I've power-cycled and checked the settings on my modem and router but they appear to be fine. I've also checked network settings on all three computers and they have not changed i.e. everything is the same as it was before the problems occurred.

I would appreciate further suggestions.

11. !JOLT!

!JOLT!

I'm not an expert by any means but the microsoft site for one requires active X to be ON for it to even load. Have you checked that option?

Also try downloading a different browser like Firefox and try the same sites.

12. Blondjeff

Blondjeff Thread Starter

Active X is on (I use the default settings)

I tried firefox as you suggested but still cannot reach the same dozen or so sites.

A friend suggested searching for the Hosts File and deleting any entry except for:
    localhost 127.0.0.1

I've done a search for the hosts file but the only one I can find is the Microsoft sample file. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

13. Augie65

Augie65

Windows XP = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC

14. Dingenium

Dingenium

15. Blondjeff

Blondjeff Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. The problem ended being an advanced setting in the router. The MTU (which I never heard of before) was set too low, thus preventing many pages from loading, especially those using SSL.

For those who are interested here is some information about MTU (From Webopedia.)

MTU - Short for Maximum Transmission Unit, the largest physical packet size, measured in bytes, that a network can transmit. Any messages larger than the MTU are divided into smaller packets before being sent.
    Every network has a different MTU, which is set by the network administrator. On Windows 95, you can also set the MTU of your machine. This defines the maximum size of the packets sent from your computer onto the network. Ideally, you want the MTU to be the same as the smallest MTU of all the networks between your machine and a message's final destination. Otherwise, if your messages are larger than one of the intervening MTUs, they will get broken up (fragmented), which slows down transmission speeds.

Trial and error is the only sure way of finding the optimal MTU, but there are some guidelines that can help. For example, the MTU of many PPP connections is 576, so if you connect to the Internet via PPP, you might want to set your machine's MTU to 576 too. Most Ethernet networks, on the other hand, have an MTU of 1500, which is the default MTU setting for Windows 95.

Thanks again!

Blondjeff

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!