1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE can't find Acrobat Reader

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by River_City_K, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. River_City_K

River_City_K Thread Starter

New PC running XP/home. Briefly installed Spybot 1.2 and then removed it. Since then, both IE 6.0 and Mozilla Firefox 0.8 can no longer find Acrobat Reader. I can't figure out where the pointer to my Acrobat reader is set. Can somebody help?

Thx,
    --Ken

2. beefy

beefy

Check in Windows Explorer C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader

Look for AcroRd32.ext

that is the program for Acrobat Reader 6.0

3. River_City_K

Yep, I know where the Reader program lives, but I need to know how to tell IE (and Mozilla Firefox) how to find the Reader program.

Thx again,
    --Ken

4. beefy

beefy

If you have a pdf file you can use for testing, try right click with the mouse and it should save 'open file acrobat reader 6.0'

Click on that option and it should open.

Maybe the removal by Spybot S&D have removed some elements of Acrobat reader.

Have you tried reinstalling Acrobat Reader 6.0?

5. River_City_K

Beefy, I have no trouble opening up locally-stored PDF files using Windows Explorer. The problem arises when I try opening PDF files on the web when using either Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox: I merely get the message "Could not find Adobe Acrobat". I can right click on the link and choose "save as..." but that's a pain in the arse. Perhaps the problem is that both web applications are looking for the Adobe Acrobat program rather than the Acrobat READER? How can I tell the web apps which program to use to read PDF files?

--Ken

6. beefy

beefy

One other thing I can think of is

Open Acrobat Reader and go to View>Preferences
    and on the Internet heading check for
    'Display pdf in Browser'. If checked, try unchecking and retry opening a pdf file from web.

If that doesn't work, you might want to go to Adobe site and check the forums there. You don't have to register, but you can post questions there.

7. Zuki

Zuki

I had the same problem and cured it by reinstalling Adobe. Might be worth a try for you.

Good luck

8. River_City_K

Been there, tried it, no good. However, here is what DID work. I found this solution in the Adobe READER forum:

Create a text file (wordpad or notepad) with the following lines (copy and paste). Make sure the file has a .reg extension and not .txt or doc - you may have to rename from a command window. Once the file has the proper extension, simply double click on it and the entries will be made to your rgistry. Close and reopen IE and it will work fine.

----- COPY STARTING WITH NEXT LINE -----
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Software\Adobe]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Software\Adobe\Acrobat]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Software\Adobe\Acrobat\Exe]
    @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Acrobat 6.0\\Reader\\AcroRd32.exe\""

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220825

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice