1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE crash for specific site

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by frasers, Sep 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. frasers

frasers Thread Starter

When I try and goto www.epicurious.com IE crashes. this is a legitimate website and I can reach it from other computers. I have IE6.0 but also happened in 5.5!!?? Help:(

2. brianF

brianF

Site uses mostly java script from my untrained eye. Have you been to the windows update site and downloaded all the updates.

3. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

The other possiblity is your Advanced settings for IE. Start>Settings>CP>InternetOptions>Advanced.

These should NOT be selected

Display a notification of every script error
    Java Console Enabled
    Java Logging Enabled

Obviously the bottom two can be selected if your doing Java programming.

And these Should be selected

Disable Script Debugging
    JIT Compiler for virtual machine enabled

If that doesnt work, then go here and download "W95/98/ME 3802 build of MS Virtual Machine". Once it's downloaded, execute the downloaded file to install it.

http://www.microsoft.com/java/vm/dl_vm40.htm

4. frasers

frasers Thread Starter

Thanks for quick come back. Yes I have updated and the other changes and reinstall of VM did not help!! Any other ideas??
    Fraser

5. frasers

frasers Thread Starter

Oh, another piece of information the following is error message
    EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
    module <unknown> at 0000:00346c69.
    Registers:
    EAX=00000000 CS=025f EIP=00346c69 EFLGS=00010286
    EBX=004b6dc0 SS=0267 ESP=0105d3f0 EBP=61726874
    ECX=00000000 DS=0267 ESI=0302f058 FS=4ebf
    EDX=81c2400c ES=0267 EDI=005121b0 GS=0000
    Bytes at CS:EIP:

Stack dump:
    004b6ef8 0302f058 004b6dc0 00000004 00000000 0043bb94 71002cbc 71001cec 0105d444 00000000 711642d4 0043bb80 00000000 00000001 71162c95 0105d468

6. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

7. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    You may also want to do this to be sure your clean of Spyware. They are known to cause those types of errors when browsing.

Go <a href=http://www.lavasoftusa.com/downloads.html> here </a>, then on the Right side of the page, click on the little Yellow folder next to “Ad-aware 5.5 Final NEW 837 kb” to download AAW.exe. Once you've downloaded it, double left click on it to install it. Then look for the AdAware folder in Start>Programs and execute the program. Once it launches, on the Left side of the screen, be sure to select ScanRegistry(DeepScan), ScanMemory and Scan Fixed C: Drive from the directory tree on the Left side and then click on “Scan”. When it's done scanning, click on Continue and then select everything it lists and continue on to delete and clean it up.

8. frasers

frasers Thread Starter

I have run adaware 5.5 twice. the only thing on was Gator which I had it remove with no affect on the problem. so far I've used every suggestion to no avial!!!

9. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Patience my friend. :)

10. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    If your running W95 or W98, try this

Click on Start>Shutdown>Restart in MSDos mode. At a MSDos prompt key in each command and press enter after each.

smartdrv
    deltree /y tempor~1
    deltree /y history
    deltree /y cookies
    exit

Now once Windows restarts, delete any Favorite you may have for that site and then try the site again.

BTW, the commands above will also delete all of your cookies but they will be rebuilt as you revisit the webpages you frequent.

11. frasers

frasers Thread Starter

Bryan,
    I'm sorry to say that didn't work either!!:(
    Fraser

12. CellarDweller

CellarDweller

Hi all! Sorry to dig up this old thread, but it's what I got when doing a search for the problem.

I go to a certain website, and it crashes IE6 every single time. http://www.cafeshops.com/bearshare. The site would just finish loading when it crashed the browser.
    Also, when searching the web last night for something else, another website crashed IE6. Can't post the URL because the site barely started loading before causing the crash.

These sites work fine in Mozilla.

So far these are the only two sites that have ever done this, and I find it very strange.
    - All the above posts either didn't help or apply to me.
    - I reinstalled IE6
    - Ran the IE repair tool
    - Scanned for viruses or trojans
    - My startup list is short and free of spyware/adware/whateverware
    - Yes, I rebooted - several times during troubleshooting. I even shut down the computer overnight to see if that would clear anything.
    In short, my system is squeaky clean and well maintained. I've never encountered an IE crash for specific websites before.

Any suggestions?? TIA

13. Del

Del

How do you connect to the internet? cable, dialup , dsl?
    If cable or dsl, what modem do you have??

14. CellarDweller

CellarDweller

Hi Del,

I'm on DSL, with an external Cisco 678 modem.

btw... I just ran System File Checker, found files that needed restoring, but that didn't fix the problem.

Iwonder should I reinstall Windows? And if I do, can I safely reinstall over the current installation without losing anything? (please say yes :) )

15. Del

Del

Is it a USB modem? I've seen this with the USB modems, there's a diaganostic for usb that some run at startup that caused this with IE and Netscape, unchecked the dragdiag in msconfig and fixed the problem?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/52419

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice