1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE& Crashes, Documents Folder Empty

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by loricherokee, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. loricherokee

loricherokee Thread Starter

Earlier today, for no reason as far as I know, I lost IE7. I could not open it even after rebooting 4 times. I also could not access any files on desktop that needed IE to work. Using FireFox I accessed the Microsoft website & downloaded IE8. I seem to have everything back except the Documents folder. The folder icon is on desktop but it's empty. I didn't have a lot of files in there but I do need the ones I did have. Are the files that were in this folder hiding somewhere else on the computer? Is there any way I can recover the missing files? I had intended to reinstall IE7 but that option was not available on the Microsoft side.

2. lazybear

lazybear

And the documents folder isn't accessible from anywhere else? From the start menu or C:\Users\YOU\Documents.

3. loricherokee

The Documents folder is there but it's empty. None of the files that were in the folder before IE7 crashed are there.

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Try Recuva.

Hope it helps.

5. vicks

vicks

See if this gives you any results:
    click on Start>My Documents. When you do this, what do you get?
    If this gives you success you can create a new icon for the desk top...
    Vicks

6. loricherokee

I get nothing. The Documents file will not open.

7. loricherokee

I tried Recuva. It didn't find the files.

8. lazybear

lazybear

Just to clarify. The document folder is empty or it wont open? Two different problems with two different solutions.

9. loricherokee

There is a Documents file - there is nothing in it. I don't know if it's a separate folder than what I had w/IE7 or it's the same folder w/all the files missing.

10. Phantom010

Have you tried checking "Show hidden files and folders" in Folder Options? I really don't mean to insult your intelligence. These things can happen to anybody. [​IMG]

11. loricherokee

No problem. I hadn't checked that actually. I just did - files still missing. Is there a way to get rid of IE8 & reinstall IE7 or has MS made that impossible? I don't know if it would help or not. I'm also now not able to open my BookSmart software (photobook site) that ran perfectly before the crash. The BookSmartDataFile was in the Documents folder. I'm still waiting for BookSmart customer service to respond to my emails. Thx

12. Phantom010

Have you tried a System Restore?

13. loricherokee

I tried but it didn't work. Actually, I've had this computer w/Vista since June 2008 & I've never been able to use System Restore. Can someone tell me how I can uninstall IE8 which will supposedly automatically give me back IE7? I've found various blogs that say IE8 is an update, not a download & you need to find it in updates to uninstall it. I can't find the uninstall option anywhere. IE8 is not listed as a program, it's not showing up anywhere in Downloads. It's not on a list of files that can be Removed. I tried to find help on the Microsoft site but they want $50 just to email someone. What a ripoff!! This has been a hellish 2 days & I still think IE8 has something to do w/the problems w/my BookSmart software altho their technie doesn't think so but his instructions to get access to the site didn't work either.

14. loricherokee

It's obvious that the files in My Documents folder are gone forever. I had also lost access to the Blurb BookSmart website & the 2 photobooks I was working on. Blurb Customer Support told me that Blurb does not support IE8 which is why I couldn't access it. I also have FireFox on my computer & I was able to download the book site from there. I'm now redoing from scratch the 2 books I was working on. I've tried to find out if it's possible to uninstall IE8 & go back to IE7 but I think Microsoft has made that impossible. IE8 is not considered a program - it's an update. I have been unable to find IE8 listed anywhere on the computer. It's not in programs or downloads. I guess I have to live w/IE8. I want to thank everyone who offered me advice on how I might fix the problem. I apprecaite it very much.:)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919856

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice