1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE Cutomization Option gone After ISearch Toolbar was Installed

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Zilla2001, Apr 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zilla2001

Zilla2001 Thread Starter

IE Cutomization Option gone After ISearch Toolbar was Installed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Due to the spyware "ISearch Toolbar" being installed on my machine, I can no longer customize my IE 6.0 Tool Bar Settings. Right now even after removing the ISearch ToolBar with Hijack, the Standard Buttons, Address Bar and Links Options are greyed out. The only thing that is there is Text Labels. Lock the Toolbars is no longer there and most important "Customize" is no longer there either. How can I go about getting these options back?
    Windows 2000/IE 6.0 128 Bit/SP4

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Zilla
    Welcome to TSG!
    If you are sure all parts of the searchbar were removed using Hi-Jack then try doing a repair of IE and see if that helps.
    If not you may want to have the security Gurus re-look at your "Hi-Jack This" log but make sure it is a newly run log and not the old one.

Repair IE:
    Not sure where add-remove programs is located in Win2000 but other OS's it is located start\settings\control panel\add-remove programs
    Scroll down to Microsoft Internet Explorer IE6 and tools
    Highlight same and click remove
    Select the repair option form pop-up window and allow repair.

Note: make sure no other app's are open since system will want to restart.

Hope that helps

Dave

3. Zilla2001

Zilla2001 Thread Starter

Here is my Hijack Log for this issue.........

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
    Scan saved at 5:06:09 PM, on 4/24/2004
    Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\Mcshield.exe
    C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\VsTskMgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\stisvc.exe
    C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINNT\System32\hkcmd.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\PROSet\PRONoMgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\SHSTAT.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\UpdaterUI.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\PhotoSmart\Photo Imaging\Hpi_Monitor.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFREE.EXE
    C:\Program Files\AWS\WeatherBug\Weather.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe
    C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\SNDVOL32.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
    C:\Documents and Settings\Mindbenda\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = about:blank
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:blank
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = about:blank
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINNT\System32\igfxtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINNT\System32\hkcmd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PRONoMgr.exe] C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\PROSet\PRONoMgr.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ShStatEXE] "C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\SHSTAT.EXE" /STANDALONE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McAfeeUpdaterUI] "C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\UpdaterUI.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CXMon] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\PhotoSmart\Photo Imaging\Hpi_Monitor.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PopUpStopperFreeEdition] "C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFREE.EXE"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Weather] C:\Program Files\AWS\WeatherBug\Weather.EXE 1
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: AIM (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: WeatherBug (HKCU)
    O12 - Plugin for .bcf: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPBelv32.dll
    O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
    O16 - DPF: {33564D57-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71} - http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/6/E/F6E491A6-77E1-4E20-9F5F-94901338C922/wmv9VCM.CAB
    O16 - DPF: {3E68E405-C6DE-49FF-83AE-41EE9F4C36CE} (Office Update Installation Engine) - http://office.microsoft.com/officeupdate/content/opuc.cab
    O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/unicode/iuctl.CAB?38066.5642361111
    O16 - DPF: {CC05BC12-2AA2-4AC7-AC81-0E40F83B1ADF} (Live365Player Class) - http://www.live365.com/players/play365.cab
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
    O16 - DPF: {E855A2D4-987E-4F3B-A51C-64D10A7E2479} (EPSImageControl Class) - http://tools.ebayimg.com/eps/activex/EPSControl_v1-0-3-0.cab

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

Zilla
    Did you try the above items I suggested in my first reply to your thread?

Dave

5. Zilla2001

Zilla2001 Thread Starter

Yes but had no luck. So I posted the Hi Jack info...
    See anything there?

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

Zilla
    I do not see anything unusual there but I am not completely versed in reading Hi-Jack this logs.
    I will move this thread over to security to have someone else look at it but if nothing is there that has to be removed you may want to use add-remove programs and go back to previous version of IE and then download and reinstall IE 6.0 to replace any corrupt files and see if that fixes the custom options.

Dave

7. Flrman1

Flrman1

Run Hijack This again and put a check by these. Close all windows except HijackThis and click "Fix checked"

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = about:blank
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:blank
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = about:blank

Restart your computer.

I don't think that's going to fix your problem thought. I'd try uninstalling/reinstalling IE.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!