IE displays "Page cannot be displayed" 4 pages that require a password

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rabia17

My Issue: for some reason IE is not allowing me to sign in to pages that require a username or password. Pages that start with HTTPS also do not display. The following error message is displayed. "This page cannot be displayed." I've tried so many things I'm about to give up! Below are some detials about my laptop and some of the steps I've taken to mitigate this problem. Someone please help!!

Specs: Laptop Manu. Toshiba, Satellite series
XP Home Edition, SP 2, IE6.

I've tried the following:
  • Make sure I have an internet connection by pinging the DNS server
  • followed most of the tips found here http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=303807
  • Install another browser Mozilla Firefox...this also displays page not available message.
  • I've also updated my Internet Options to Default, I am not going thru a Proxy server, SSL 2.0 and SSL 3.0 are selected
  • completed a system restore to an earler moment in time...did not work

I've even did a system scan to detect if some of the files were corrupt everything seems fine. The only optin I haven't tried is reinstalling XP. If anyone could provdie any advice before i take this step I would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks,
Rabia17 :eek:

Can you post a link to one of the sites that you can't access or log into ?

Do you have java enabled ? Some sites open a new window when you log in, this could be your problem.

Are you running any kind of ad blocking software and do you have cookies enabled ?

Check the cipher strength settings of IE by opening a browser window and clicking Help/About Internet Explorer, Your Cipher strength should be set to 128 bit.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online