1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE Explorer Error Msg

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by jb2370, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jb2370

jb2370 Thread Starter

I really need some help. I deleted IE 6.0 on my computer running windows Me and now when boot up everything goes well until after the log on window. no matter what profile i log on with or even if i press cancel an errror msg pops right up it says

"explorer has caused an error in shell32.DLL. Explorer will now close. If you continue to experience problems, try restarting your computer"

So I close the box and my screen saver shows up but my desktop icons don't and non of my keys work. It's all frozen up. So I have to press cntrl alt delete (these are the only keys it response to) and when this box shows up it's completely empty and I have to press shutdown to shut my computer off. I tried inserting a start up disk but it won't read it either.

Now I wish I hadn't deleted the IE. I deleted cuase I wanted to use netcape browser as I found it to have less error msg and less popups then the IE browser.

Can anyone please help. Luckily I have other computers in the house i can use but I sure would like to get my other computer with Me up and running again.
    Thanks a bunch!
    Jorge

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Use System Restore to roll your computer back to a date to before when your computer worked right. Before the error(s) started occuring.

To start System Restore, click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore. Or, in the Help and Support main screen, click Use System Restore under Fix a problem.

Or enter Safe Mode then run SR from there:

(tap F8 twice per second during a restart; Choose option number three (3) in the Windows Startup dialog box using the arrow keys below the Delete key, and strike the Enter key; Click Ok when prompted)

3. jb2370

jb2370 Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your advice, however I am unable to enter the safe mode by pressing on the start since my keys aren't responind, other then my ctrl alt del keys.
    during the booting up i am able to enter bios by pressing del but i can seem to see an option for safe mode and when i press the f8 button as you suggested as i am booting up nothing happens.
    I am dong somethig wrong?

Thanks,
    Jorge

4. Gill

Gill

Hi jb,

I have to press, "ctrl key", only, then I choose option 3.

Gill

5. jb2370

jb2370 Thread Starter

thanks for your suggestion, I still couldn't get into safe mode.
    I tried as it was booting up and the only thing i can get into is the bios info my presseing del.

6. Styxx

Styxx Banned

tap F8 five (5) times per second then. tap it much faster press they key hard as well.

7. VirtualMe

VirtualMe

Try this method

Put a blank floppy disk into your A:\ drive.

Reboot your computer and let Windows start the boot process.

A message will be displayed: "Non-system disk, remove or replace disk and press any key to continue."

Remove the floppy from the A:\ drive and press the F8 key twice quickly.

The Windows 95/98/Me Startup Menu will appear. We hope!

Choose option # 3 (Safe Mode) by pressing the 3 on your keyboard or selecting it with your arrow keys.

Press the Enter key to begin booting into Safe Mode. Note, it will take a few moments longer than a regular boot.

Hopefully you are in Safe Mode.

========================================

or this

Restart your computer in MS-DOS Mode.From a command prompt type: win /d:m then hit Enter.

8. jb2370

jb2370 Thread Starter

thanks so much. I inserted the floppy disk and then took it out as you suggested, i finally did see the option to go into safe and i selected it. Once i did it started booting up and message came up saying it was bypassing my start up files it then continued on. It stopped when the same IE message appeared saying the same as it at the very beginning, you know the shell32.dll error and my system just froze.
    the backround screen said safe mode on each corner and it also said help support in the top left hand corner in small print. I had to press the on button my cpu for a few seconds to shut it off since i couln't do anytning from here.

Is there anything esle i can do? Was I not suppose to delete IE 6?
    thanks for all your help and time thus far.

9. VirtualMe

VirtualMe

You do need IE istalled, because it is incorporated/tied into the workings of ME.

I hope I get this right, it has been a while since I reinstall ME, so if it's not right, hopefully, someone will correct me.

You will have to boot with a boot disk in the A: drive and choose cd rom support

If you have your ME disk just install it back over itself. Do not reformat, or fdisk. Just put it in and load it.

Turn off your computer.

Insert the Boot Disk in drive A

Turn on your computer.

Choose>option : Start computer with CD-ROM support

Change drive to your CD-ROM drive and execute Setup from the DOS as follows:

A:\>E:

E:\>win9x\setup.exe (where E: is your CD-ROM letter).

10. jb2370

jb2370 Thread Starter

I have the CD recovery disk for my ME system but I do not have it in disk/floppy disk. Since it won't read the CD when should i insert it? Or how do i get into the dos mode, so i can enter commands?

11. VirtualMe

VirtualMe

Sounds like you have a brand name Pc. Is it a Compaq, HP, or Dell? They may have to walk you through the restore process.

Is the CD you are calling a CD recovery disk a Windows ME cd?

=======================================================
    =======================================================
    You can get and make a boot disk for ME HERE

Download to desktop.

Then put blank floppy disk in A: drive

Click on the WINME.exe file on desktop.

You now have a ME Boot disk or Startup disk .

12. Del

Del

Did you try running System Restore from the Normal mode, I do it all the time and works fine??

13. VirtualMe

VirtualMe

Del I don't think jb2370 can get to system restore in normal mode or safe mode. It keeps freezing up on him.

At least that is how I understand it.

14. Del

Del

OK VM, caught it.
    Do what O/S do you have on the other computers?
    Make a startup disk on one of them and try it in your computer with the problem.

15. jb2370

jb2370 Thread Starter

thank you all for the suggestions. I really appreciate it. I've been away for a day or two, but i still have the problem with my ME computer. My other computer is a dell xp operating system so I can't use the same restore disk.
    to answer VirtualMe's question about the CD yes the one I have is a rocover ME Cd but the computer doesn't pick it up when i put in the drive.
    I have now followed the suggestion of going to that site and getting the recovery info on floppy disk I will try that next and see if that works.
    I am assuming that when I start it up it's going to tell stop and tell me that there's a disk error for having it in, what should I do then?

I will be back after I try it.
    Thanks you all

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119187

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice