1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE Full Install - Under What Scenario?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Alaska, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alaska

Alaska Thread Starter

I ran across a web site (legal as far as I know) that has various full install versions of Internet Explorer.
    Under what circumstances would someone want to do a full installation of Internet Explorer from a downloaded application?
    If someone needed to do that wouldn't they be better off just reinstalling the whole operating system from disc?

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Like your avatar :)

I wouldn't use that site unless it was on a test machine.

Maybe someone would use it if they had installed AOL and were trying to get IE working again. I'm with you just do the whole OS.

3. sekirt

sekirt

Examples:

When I had Windows 3.11, I ran it with Explorer 3.0. I wanted Explorer 4 - and it wasn't available at MS anymore.

Whether it's right, wrong or purely illegal, many don't have a CD.
    However, why install all of Windows to get IE? Isn't that a little like putting an engine in, when you only need spark plugs?

I am sure there are more reasons, but my mind is taking a vacation right now.:)

sekirt

4. Alaska

Alaska Thread Starter

Thanks

Thanks for the above examples.

Windows Me is the only operating system I have dealt with and I guess I was trying to imagine under what circumstances I would need to reinstall IE. So if IE needed to be reinstalled I was looking at it as IE would have to really messed up. And since IE is so integrated into the operating system I was thinking it would be better for stableness to reinstall the OS.

BTW, If anyone feels real sorry for me having only had Windows Me, I will allow you to send me a retail version of Windows 2000 Professional, of course in original shrink wrap only. :p

5. sekirt

sekirt

I feel sorry you have ME rather than the better windows 98:D

I have win 98se with IE/OE 6. That came from MS and wasn't on the CD. So the original installation of ver 6 was a download. Then I did have some problems. Once with OE. So I reinstalled again from MS. Then I was having a problem with IE. Couldn't pin it down, so I reinstalled a 2nd time from MS. (However, that turned out to not be the cure). But those are just more examples of just installing IE and not Windows.

At one time MS had IE available for $10-$15 on CD. I don't know if they still do.

sekirt

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165743

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice