1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE having problems loading some web page images??

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Holly3278, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Hi everyone. I've noticed a problem with my IE browser. First of all, I have Service Pack 1 and not Service Pack 2. I do have all of the critical updates and other updates for my computer except for the latest Service Pack. I am only experiencing this problem with one web page. The web page is http://www.cnet.com. Everytime I go there with Internet Explorer, way over half of the images do not load. I right click on the image place holder and click Show Image to try and get the image to reload but it refuses to load the images no matter what I do. It's been doing this for over a month and I have no idea why. Also, I have tried clearing all of my temporary files, Internet Cache, and Cookies but the problem still occurs. Also, I don't have any spyware. I scan daily with an updated version of Webroot Spysweeper and weekly with Spybot Search and Destroy, and Adaware. Any advice?

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

3. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Why thank you Cheeseball! YOu sure have been a lot of help lately! ;)

4. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Ok, one problem. This wants me to call Microsoft to get the fix. Is there a simpler way to fix this like reinstalling Internet Explorer or running some kind of IE fix program?

5. Cheeseball81

Hmmm...
    It only happens with that 1 specific site?

Do you have a Norton Personal Firewall by any chance?

6. Cheeseball81

Which IE version are you using? :)

Go to Help -> About Internet Explorer

7. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Yes, it only seems to happen with that site. I do have Norton Internet Security 2004. I have tried disabling the ad blocking while on that site but it doesn't seem to help any. Also, the images usually load fine in Mozilla Firefox, my other browser.

8. Cheeseball81

I was just going to recommend trying another browser such as Mozilla or Firefox

There may be a bug, especially if it's Windows XP SP1 / Internet Explorer 6 SP1

I know that IE version 6.00.2800.1106 in particular was a nuisance

9. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

My IE version is 6.00.2800.1106.xpsp2.030422-1633. Don't ask me what the xpsp2 part means. It almost appears that it is trying to say I have XP Service Pack 2 but as far as I know I don't have Service Pack 2. At least if I do, System Properties is still listing Service Pack 1.

10. Cheeseball81

I think it might be a bug :(

It could be something that goes away after acting up for a few weeks
    Unsure if there are any proper fixes for it as such at the moment

You may just be better off using a different browser :(

11. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

I don't know. I am planning on downloading Service Pack 2 tonight though since it's the minimum size for me, 75 megabytes. I heard it could be as much as 250 mb. Thank God it wasn't. If it was, I wouldn't be able to download it because Juno will only stay online about 4 hours before it disconnects. I'll be very lucky if I can get it downloaded the way it is.

12. Cheeseball81

I hope that the new Service Pack will fix the problem

It's interesting how it only happens on one specific website
    Maybe we could just blame cnet :)

I don't supposed hitting the 'refresh' button does much justice?

13. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

LOL! I don't know. Maybe it is CNET's problem. But considering this has been happening for weeks, you'd think they'd get it fixed by now. Or maybe they simply don't know. Also, hitting the refresh button doesn't do a thing. :( I may contact CNET and let them know. It might be a bug that is just specific to certain computers like mine.

14. Cheeseball81

I'd like to think that the problem is on their end. Especially if it only happens for you on their website.

It may be the size of their files.
    I read this off of Google:

"Now the all too common huge file sizes. I read where C-net says they try
    to keep their pages under 30k I believe. But if you have visited C-net lately, you see it's not"

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!