1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE help before I shoot my other foot

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by rarodrig, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rarodrig

rarodrig Thread Starter

I have two computers connected via a router, which connect to a cable modem.

I reloaded (with an old backup, pre-cable modem) the win98 registry to correct a problem with the video, and now...

Now Explorer can't find the internet from the win98 PC. The win98 can see shared files on the XP PC, and the XP can access the net.

Help!!!

2. rarodrig

rarodrig Thread Starter

I think this should be on the network forum.

3. Del

Del

Look on your desktop for a Network Neighborhood Icon and right click it. Look for tcp/ip for your network adapter (etherent card) and double click it and see if it's set for Obtain IP address Automatically, if not, set it to Obtain Automatically and click ok, try it after you reboot.

4. rarodrig

rarodrig Thread Starter

My network is OK. I can share files between the computers.

The problem is with Internet Explorer (& Netscape).

They can't find the internet.

5. Del

Del

If you can't surf with either Netscape or IE, I doubt seriously that both took a dump at the same time.
    Go to Start > Run. Type in command and click ok. then type "Ping 64.58.76.176" without the quotes and hit enter.
    If you get packets sent 4 recieved 4 then Type "ping yahoo.com" and hit enter. If you get unknown host, it's third party software or an operating system problem like winsock2 in the registry. If you get packets sent 4 received 4, then 3rd party software or both browsers messed up.

6. rarodrig

rarodrig Thread Starter

The pinging was successful, 4 packets received.

I toggled the automatic address selction on the network card and I working now.

Thanks!!

7. Del

Del

Glad to hear that. Sometimes IP addresses can fix problems too.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114926

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice