IE Home page won't change

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Lance1

Hi all!

This problem is driving me nuts!! My home page in IE is stuck on http://sympatico.msn.ca/ and will not change. I ran Ad-ware SE, Spybot and scanned with Norton. Nothing seems to fix this. I tried changing the home page in the register but it keeps going back to MSN. What ells can I do?

From this website - Internet Explorer Homepage fixes

Some ISP's provide a customized version of IE. Some Web pages will also reset your home page and do this. One of the customizations they might make is to disable the ability to change the home page, so that you are forced to use their home page. You can re-enable this by making a small change in the Windows registry.

In Regedit, navigate to this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel

In the right-hand pane, right-click the "HomePage" value, then select Modify. Change it to: 00 00 00 00

Also change either or these to zero 0 instead of 1 if present:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer] - DWORD "NoSetHomePage"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions] - DWORD "NoSetHomePage"=dword:00000001

If you don't have this key, browse to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

and in the right hand pane, double click "Local Page" and set equal to "C:\WINDOWS\System\blank.htm" (no quotes) which will hopefully set your Home Page to blank and then allow you to subsequently modify it using Internet Options.

Exit regedit and reboot.

When you reboot, you should be able to change the home page again.

Good Luck!

Sadan01 (y)

Lance1

Thanks for your suggestion Sadan01. I went through it and I still am getting MSN as my home page. The weird thing that adds to it now is that in Internet Option / Home Page is now grayed out! I can’t do anything with it. I know this is unlikely but is there a way to completely uninstall IE6 in XP and reinstall it? I looked around and everything I find says NO! but there has to be one somewhere. There’s always a back road to a main street!

Any more input would be greatly appreciated.

Lance.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online