1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ie icon not showing in shortcuts and address bar

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gail2magic, Aug 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gail2magic

gail2magic Thread Starter

I am using win xp home and have a problem that started a few weeks ago. The ie icon is not showing in the address bar and when I right click a webpage and make a shortcut for the desktop...the icon used is no longer the ie icon. When I right click the icon and choose properties.....change icon..I can change just that one to the ie icon. I also checked control panel..folder options...file types and htm and html are both showing the ie icon. I am not taling about special icons showing...am saying just a generic icon shows for all ie shortcuts and in the address bar.

Usually I can go to windows explorer and shift-right click any icon and choose *open with*...and choose the program and check the box to *always open with * but I can not get any shortcut or htm, html file to show the *open with* option...can't get any shortcut to open that way. I think if I could get that option..then all future htm and html shortcuts would show the ie icon.

Any suggestions?

2. Del

Del

Have you tried this?
    To reset any incorrect files in the operating system in Windows XP do this:
    Click on Start > Run and type in "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes) and Press Enter.
    You will be asked to insert the Windows XP c.d.

The computer should reboot, if not, reboot and try it.

3. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

And be prepared to re-apply all windows updates.

Get and try TweakUI (for the correct OS), it has a repair icons feature.

4. gail2magic

gail2magic Thread Starter

Thank you very much. Had no idea that it would do that. I tried it and it worked great.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!