1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE Menu and Toolbars Missing

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Chris2401, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chris2401

Chris2401 Thread Starter

When I open internet explorer, there is no menu and there are no toolbars. It used to open with both. How do I get them permanently restored?

2. buckaroo

buckaroo

Hi Chris2401, Welcome to TSG.

Not sure exactly what you mean by menu....do you mean the File/Edit/View/Favorites/Tools/Help ?

If you have those at the top of IE, click on View and check toolbars, etc. for what you need.

:)

3. e-liam

e-liam

Hi Chris2401, and welcome to TSG.. :)

It sounds as though you have set the default for your browser to always open in fullscreen. When you next open IE, press the F11 button on the top row of your keyboard. If this fixes it, then that's the problem. Once you have the browser opened normally, click the View menu at the top, and click the last option Full Screen, so that there is no tick next to it. Close down then reopen IE, and it should be fine.

Let us know how it goes.. :)

Cheers

Liam

4. Chris2401

Chris2401 Thread Starter

Yes, by menu I mean the File/Edit/View/Favorites/Tools/Help. I have not set the default for my browser to always open in fullscreen, it opens normally. F11 did not work.

5. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

did you find your toolbars yet, Chris? :confused:

- Castleheart

6. Chris2401

Chris2401 Thread Starter

No, not yet. When I open IE, still no menu or toolbars. I have found that I can surf the web with menu and toolbars by going to right clicking on 'START', 'explore'. But I still really need to get my IE fixed. Any suggestions?:confused:

7. raybro

raybro

Right-click in any empty portion of the gray below the blue banner at the top of IE and select the tool bars you want.

8. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

I have seen the menu bar get pushed off the screen before. Often when it does, you can move your pointer to the place where VIEW should be and push it just off screen click and the VIEW menu will come down. You can choose TOOLBARS then.

But this is not usually the case. Also, usually there is no title bar when this condition occurs.

If you can't find them up top..... have you tried REPAIRING IE ?

- C

9. Chris2401

Chris2401 Thread Starter

Castleheart,

I was not able to push it off screen to have the view menu come down. I have also already tried repairing IE to no avail. Any other ideas?

10. Chris2401

Chris2401 Thread Starter

Ray,

All I get by right clicking below banner is popup window with choices: Back, Select All, Create Shortcut, Add to Favories, View Source, Encoding, Print, Refresh, Properties, which do not help. Any other Ideas?
    Chris

11. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

What operating system are we talking about here?

12. Chris2401

Chris2401 Thread Starter

Windows 98

13. raybro

raybro

The right-click menu you describe is the one that comes up when you click in the body of the browser which is usually white. Do you have anything below the blue banner gray in color?

Also, try hitting F11 a couple of times to see if thatbrings up anything different. On my IE, using the F11 key to go to full page view, the blue banner goes away.

14. Chris2401

Chris2401 Thread Starter

I do not have a blue banner. I have a green banner, with white browser body immediately below it, with nothing inbetween. F11 removes green banner.

15. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

Raybro - he probably has his ACTIVE TITLEBAR color set to Green in the display console in CP.

I am lost. Don't really know of a registry setting to effect this. I figured a reboot after Repair IE would have hushed that puppy.

But I wum wrong! Glad I didn't bet my lunch money :(

- Castleheart

I hope someone else comes forth with some brilliance for you C2401.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169258

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice