1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE Message Res:shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by billy921, Jul 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. billy921

billy921 Thread Starter

I'm getting this message whenever I try going to just about any page, including links. Have you heard this one before?

Thank you for your responses.

2. daybo

daybo

I have run into this before on a win 98 machine and all you had to do was first get the spyware/virus off the machine then delete the winsock and winsock2 keys from the registry restart and re-install tcp/ip protocol and everything was gravy. I have been fighting the same issue on a windows xp pro machine. I can ping any site including other pc's on my lan but cannot browse with any web browser. I have run everything all virus/spyware scan, sfc, netsh, deleted winsock entries, removed all ntwk protocols and services and reinstalled them and still cannot browse. So i feel your pain.

3. billy921

billy921 Thread Starter

I also have XP PRO SP_2 machine. I've run Winsock utility repair as well. What else have you tried. I was thinking the two nexts steps would be the replacement of the shdoclc.dll file either from the .bak or from a download, and or remove and replace IE 6.0. Where could I find a new copy of IE 6.0 ?

I decided to switch to Firefox to reduce vulerability, and maybe get away from IE, but Firefox is reacting the same way, just without the error line. It prefers a time out error instead.

I guess the biggest burn on this is that MS has known about this (being reported on help forums) since IE 5.0, so, 2003 and hasn't fixed it yet.

4. billy921

billy921 Thread Starter

I found this from a post made here back in '04 ! I followed the link

http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/shdoclc.dll.php

and then the link from there to Microsoft Support KB 323916.

They said the error was caused by mismatched shdoclc.dll files caused after patches. the bottom of the KB said it was valid for IE 6 so this may be the answer. Just need to update the shdoclc.dll in %Program Files%\Internet Explorer\MUI\LCID folder. Of course they referring to multi-lingual messages boxes.

Question for the big guys. Could copying the .dll from the %Windir%\System32 folder to the %Program Files%\Internet Explorer\MUI\LCID folder be done or are those two .dll's though the same really different?

Thanks,

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/383150

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice