1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE,MY Computer don't open

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Aggie, Apr 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Aggie

Aggie Thread Starter

I was working on somebody's computer yesterday)it is running windows XP. They were unable to open IE, MY Computer, Control Pane, and Recycle BIN. I installed AVG antivisus and it detected and removed 13 Viruses and put 1"Backdoor.Ruledor.A" into the vault.

Howver, the above programs will still not open. They will open though in safemode. When I click on IE in normal mode it will show that is it working and then nothing. when I try the other, all the icon s leave for a second then comeback. Thank you in advance for any help.

Aggie

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Use System Restore to roll your computer back to a date to before when your computer worked right. Before the error(s) started occurring.

To start System Restore, click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore. Or, in the Help and Support main screen, click Use System Restore under Fix a problem.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You may also want to run Adaware and Spybot on the computer. Don't forget to update them before scanning and have them fix all problems. In many causes a Browser Helper Object or Toolbar will cause this result. You can also post Hijackthis list for manual cleaning.

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

4. Aggie

Aggie Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your replies. She tried the system restore before I got there, going as far back as possible to no avail. I'll download hijack,spybot, and ad-aware and install them onto her compute (probably tuesday). I'll give an update then.Thanks again.
    Aggie

5. Aggie

Aggie Thread Starter

Well I ran Adware and found 700+ items. However, none were able to be removed, there seemed to be something interferring with Ad-ware. Installed Spybot and it fixed about 1/2 of the items. Apparently the item interferring with Adware was fixed because adware did its duty and finished the cleaning. The actual item that was causing the above mention problem seemed to be New.net adware. Thanks for the help it was much appreciated.
    Aggie

6. sweetdevil14

sweetdevil14

7. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Go into control panel, add/remove programs and remove new.net.

Download Hijackthis.
    Create a folder on your hard drive and save it there.
    Unzip the file and extract it to the folder you have created.
    Scan your machine, then click on Save Log.

Post a copy back here and someone will be happy to review it.

Don't make any changes until instructed to do so.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219333

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice