1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE & OE hasproblems when connected

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by branzal, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. branzal

branzal Thread Starter

Having connected to my ISP - on a machine with an ISDN connection - IE will not show any pages - THe This Page Is Not Available page appears - also OE will not collect any email - cannot find server is the message.

During one of my attempts to solve this problem I came across an arror message box with a reference┬┤'Unable to initialize Windows Sockets interface error code 0'.

Can anyone help on how to correct this - I should say I have repaired the XP installation from the original Win XP Pro disk.

Cheers
    Alan

2. dugq

dugq

If you can, download this and stick it on a disk, then run it on your PC

http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html

If you cant do this, try this instead

Step 1: Delete the corrupted registry keys
    Click Start, and then click Run.
    In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    In Registry Editor, locate the following keys, right-click each key, and then click Delete:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2

When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
    Note Restart the computer after you delete the Winsock keys. Doing so causes the Windows XP operating system to create new shell entries for those two keys. If you do not restart the computer after you delete the Winsock keys, the next step does not work correctly.
    Step 2: Install TCP/IP
    Right-click the network connection, and then click Properties.
    Click Install.
    Click Protocol, and then click Add.
    Click Have Disk.
    Type C:\Windows\inf, and then click OK.
    On the list of available protocols, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click OK.
    Restart the computer

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270501

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice