1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE Offline Browsing

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by avatar1, Sep 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. avatar1

This may be a simple question but the answer escapes me at the moment :)

I am soon only going to have internet access with an ISP which is unreliable with connection fees that are expensive, so what I want to do is take on disk/floppy certain websites which I have downloaded for offline browsing to save me the time hassle of accessing them.

My question: I know how to make a site available for offline browsing via my current computer (via the IE toolbar) but where can I find the "saved offline pages" (I thought they would be in TIF but don't appear to be) so that I can transfer them to disk/floppy???

Any help appreciated :)

2. Alaska

Alaska

Have you looked in the "Windows" folder for the folder named "Offline Web Pages"?

3. avatar1

Thanks for your reply Alaska

I hadn't previously but I have now and sure enough the Web page details are in there. However it seems to be more of a 'link' and detail storage folder rather than the actual web pages themselves.

So where are the pages themselves hiding as a actual file that I can download to a floppy??? Any Ideas??

:)

4. Alaska

Alaska

I do know that Windows using "View offline" stores the files in the "Offline Web Pages" folder. In what form I do not know. And if it also relies on files in the "Temporary Internet Files" folder for viewing offline I do not know.

If you want to transfer web "pages" to another computer your best bet may be to go to the web page you want to save then go to "File" in Internet Explorer and click "Save As" then select "Web Page, complete" from the "Save as Type:" at the bottom.

If you want to transfer web "sites" or partial web sites that is an entirely different matter. There are utilities that will do the job but some can be quite complicated and they are not called "leechers" for nothing. And you'll never get those onto a floppy disc.

Added on edit:

So as not to confuse, even though you do not want to transfer the web pages to another computer the above in my opinion is the best way to go for saving web pages to a computer for archiving and later viewing.

5. NHIEPNGUYEN

NHIEPNGUYEN

Hello Alaska,

I am exactly in the situation of Avatar1, and would like to save the offline web pages with their links to another hard disk for two reasons : one is to save space on the system disk (IE limits the amount of hard disk to be used by offline pages); the other reason is not to have utilities to delete Temporary Internet files including the offline pages.

The save web page command will only save the page, not its links.

I believe that the offline pages themselves are store in Documents and setting\Administrator\local settings\Temporary Internet files\contents.IE5 but my windows explorer will not show the content of the Temporary Internet files.

So my problem stays.

6. Alaska

Alaska

NHIEPNGUYEN,

When I first replied to this thread I was hesitant to state what I use because I didn't know what the forum rules were in relation to these types of applications (and I still don't know).

But I use WebReaper. WebReaper at one time was reported to have SpyWare in earlier versions but the current version has none, zero, nada. A quote from the WebReaper web-site:

"WebReaper has now dropped its AdWare status, and is now FreeWare for non-commercial use." Though donations are accepted.

Another popular web-site downloader/stealer is HTTrack. I tried HTTrack a long time ago and it does the same thing as WebReaper but I found WebReaper to be a little more user friendly (maybe I'm just stupid that way).

The key to all this and a little hard to explain in writing is that once a web-site is saved what you'll see is a bunch of folders and some type of HTML/HTM/SHTML page outside of the folders. You click on the HTML page and it accesses the information inside of the folders so that it is like you are viewing the web-site from the internet but really it's on the harddrive. The key is that when you move the folders, etc. to a different location the path for the HTML page changes so that you have to right-click the HTML page and repoint it to the appropriate file it was originally pointing at but with the new path. Can be tricky but not to difficult to get a handle on.

Another thing in WebReaper is to go to "Files|Options|Save Tab" and where it states "Save downloaded sites in:" pick a different location for each of the downloaded sites so that you aren't putting them all in the same place (messy).

I have downloaded only a few web-sites that I would really miss if for some reason they ceased to exist on the internet. I have burned these web-sites to a C.D. for safe keeping and burning the web-sites to a C.D. is the only way you will be able to move them to a different computer (Period). A floppy disc ain't gonna cut it.

Disclaimer:

This page from the HTTrack gives good information on how to use/and not use web-site copiers:

http://www.httrack.com/html/abuse.html#USERS

Be smart. Bandwidth cost money and someone can get stuck with a bill for our inconsiderate web-site downloading. Like I wrote above I only copied web-sites I that would really, really, really, really miss if they were ever to be taken down. Also keep in mind Copyright issues. If you had a copyrighted web-site would you want someone copying it?

Also keep in mind that though you may be able to copy a lot of a web-site some links within that web-site may always be dead for some reason and try as you may you'll never get it all copied.

If for some reason my suggestion of the two applications I listed above is not within the guidelines of what Tech Support Guy would have us suggest, ignorance is my defense and deleting my post is your option.

7. NHIEPNGUYEN

NHIEPNGUYEN

Thanks a lot ALASKA.

I will try with WEBReaper, burning on a CD is exactly what I intended.

I have seen that the files are located in the Documents and Settings sub folders and the links are on Offline web pages.

Until getting your help, what I did is to search the files (I know the extensions, pdf or lit) with an utility which is PowerDesk. This powerDesk let me see the files while the IE will not. Then I moved the files. But if the files extensions or names are not known I would not be able to locate them.

Your suggestion is more reliable as a solution.

Thanks again

8. Alaska

Alaska

You'll love WebReaper or for that matter HTTrack.

Make a new folder and point WebReaper to put the web-site into the folder. Then for the next web-site make a new folder and repoint WebReaper, etc.

The tricky part is repointing the "HTML" page to where it needs to point to (path) once you move the web-site folder. Once you know how to do it it's easy after that.

And web-sites can be tricky. I had the most difficulty with the SHTML pages.

And one web-site I saved shows up as nothing but script in Internet Explorer but shows up the way it's supposed to in Opera, go figure. I didn't feel much like fiddling with IE but there is probably an easy explanation for it.

Make sure you read the instructions for WebReaper and learn to use the filters. That way you'll get better use out of it.

Be careful. You might download the whole internet.

9. Alaska

Alaska

One last thing.

In the attachment is a screenshot of the way I have WebReapers "Save" tab set-up. Different ways to set it up but this allows me to browse the saved pages as if I were looking at them on the internet.

Attached Files:

10. NHIEPNGUYEN

NHIEPNGUYEN

Thanks Alaska.

I have downloaded WebReaper but haven't installed it yet, being busy today.
    One last question if you don't mind : Some web pages behave normally when you make them available offline, with synch and everything but once you get offline they disappear totally except for the name of the link you get in favorites. will WebReaper get those pages offline too?

11. Alaska

Alaska

NHIEPNGUYEN,
    I'm glad you posted again because one more thing I do want to mention is that after you download a web-site and you go to "test it" by clicking on the html page make sure your internet connection is turned off. That way you'll get a true representation of how much of the web-site links that are functional you really got.

If you keep your internet connection active while checking, it may be that a link you click on just shoots out to the internet giving you the impression that you have it on your harddrive when you really do not. (Also as a safeguard I, in addition to turning off my internet connection, empty Internet Explorer's cache, history, and cookies. Just so I won't get any false positives from links.)

And if some of the links were still not copied, open WebReaper again and press the "Go" button and let it have another go at recopying what it missed on the first go around, it will copy what it can.

As far as disappearing pages go I never had that happen. It may be that you tried to copy a web-site that the webmaster had put anti-copy protections on. It happens. But since the copiers are not scattering their downloads all over the place but keeping them in one central location you will be able to see at a glance what you have.

I counted and I have only copied a total of seventeen web-sites but your original post got me to thinking and I think I may go ahead and download HTTrack. It has been literally years since I tried that program and I want to see if it has any features in it now that WebReaper lacks. You may want to go ahead and get both programs so that you can compare them side by side.

Like I mentioned in one of the post above web-sites can be tricky and you just have to see how each acts after it is downloaded on an individual basis. Each of the seventeen sites that I have function but some do react in different ways as far as load time after clicking the html page, etc. I already mentioned the web-site that shows up as only script in Internet Explorer but does what is expected of it in Opera.

NHIEPNGUYEN,
    You will not miss the offline browsing feature of IE.

Read the "Help" files

12. NHIEPNGUYEN

NHIEPNGUYEN

Thanks a lot Alaska, you have been very helpful and throughout.
    I am not doing any pirating and infringement of any copyright. Just have some archive of help and advice pages in public domaine.

13. NHIEPNGUYEN

NHIEPNGUYEN

Hello Alaska,

I've tried to use WebReaper but I am not familiar with the parameters and did not succeed. If it is not asking to much from you I would like to have the print screen of an example of parameter setting of how to Reaping an url address and pages linked to it to two levels down.
    IE offline page is peculiar some webpages cannot be read offline, although if you "save as" pages indiviually you could!
    Thank you in advance anyway.

14. Alaska

Alaska

Here's your screenshot. I never worried much about the crawl depth I went more by URL and word exclusion.
    Try going to "Filters" in the menu and setting up filters using the wizard. Then there at the bottom middle you can refine the ones the wizard made by right clicking on a line and choosing "modify" if you think you need to modify anything.
    If you got some kind of parameter error the options you chose may have been in conflict.

I've been trying out HTTrack the last couple of days and it is real nice. The way it saves the index file no repointing of the index Html page has to be done when the folder containing the site is moved around the harddrive. I don't know about after its burned to a C.D. though. I'm going to have to burn a C.D. and test it.

Attached Files:

15. NHIEPNGUYEN

NHIEPNGUYEN

Is HTTrack more user friendly than WebReaper then?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!