IE "page not found"

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

skdunten

I am hoping someone out there can help me. A friend of mine bought a computer from a pawnshop, yikes! Anyway it has some issues and she has asked me to help...

Issue 1.
It connects to the Internet through dial-up just fine but will not display any pages. All pages come up ‘page not found.’ Also I cannot download her AVG updates or Ad-Aware updates. I cannot run any online virus scanners cause it wont pull up any web pages. I have tried all the clean-up things I can think of. I ran an un-updated version of AVG and found 8 viruses and got them removed. I ran an un-updated version of Ad-Aware and removed a few hundred malwares and spywares etc. I ran disk cleanup, defrag, CWShredder, Ewido, and TrojanHunter. I also ran winsockxp.fix. Restarted and still could not pull up a web page.

Issue 2.
It continually attempts to dial onto the Internet. I am not sure what program needs to connect but every few minutes it makes another attempt to connect.

Issue 3.
The previous owner has set up a parental password in Internet explorer under 'content adviser' and I do not know how to remove the password.

This is a HP machine running XP. I did get SP2 to install via the windows auto updates. Let me know if there is more information you need. Thanks in advance.

I did run hijackthis if anyone is interested in the log I can post it.

Considering the circumstances, I think reformat and install XP. You have no way of knowing what files have been corrupted by all the malware. Or even if files are missing/deleted. The registry is probably in bad shape as well. This is really the best solution.

You can try iefix - but you might need the Install CD anyway. It's freeware.
http://www.winxptutor.com/download/iefix.zip

It is a general purpose repair utility for Internet Explorer which repairs Internet Explorer by registering it's core DLL files. Additionally if it detects Windows 2000/XP as the Operating System, it runs SFC to restore missing or corrupt Windows system files. Read about it here before using:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm

sekirt

skdunten

sekirt,

Thanks for the fast reply! She does not have the install cd so I was hoping not to format. Looks like I cannot even run the iefix without the xp cd. Also I did install firefox and no page will load their either. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

That would be just 1 more reason to reformat (Firefox).

Technically, she has a pirated copy of XP. Since someone else purchased it. When a computer is sold, it should be wiped clean of any software or the Windows CD, (version that is installed), should go with it.

Even if I had that computer in front of me, I can't tell what files might be messed up. It would be extremely hard to figure it out just using words. You ran the programs that "should" have gotten it running - so it must be something outside of that realm. Missing files, corrupted files, etc; I think she just has to purchase a Windows CD. Maybe eBay?

You can try actually running iefix...see what happens. Shouldn't make it any worse.

sekirt

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online