1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE popup blocker

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by alwrmc, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    Ok, a long story made short(er)
    I installed Windows XP SP2
    My boot time went from about a minute to about 10 (yes 10) mins.
    Mucho time spent trying to get it back to 1 minute
    No luck
    Uninstalled SP2
    Boot time back to normal
    But....
    Internet Explorer still seems to have the popup blocker active. I want to remove it and go back to the Google Toolbar. I have not been able to figure out how to turn off the IE popup blocker! Why is it still there after removing uninstalling SP2? I did uninstall it from the add/remove in control panel. Those incessant "bloing" sounds are extremely annoying!!

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I don't know why it is still there either, But if you select the "Tools" menu, do you see an entry for Pop-up Blocker, and an option to "turn off pop-up blocker"?

By the way, you still have the option of doing a "System Restore" to a check point prior to the XP install. It should revert any lingering changes.

3. John Burns

John Burns

Are you sure something else isn't going on in your computer? I installed SP2 on two computers and boot time on them did increase - but only about from one minute fifteen seconds to 2 minutes. You might want to check that all your programs are compatible, if you decide to install it again. Hope it gets better.

4. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    I tried TOOLS of course, there is no listing for Popup Blocker.
    I spent about a week or actually about 9 days trying to figure out why it made such a dramatic boot time change. I removed everything in Msconfig Startup, I really mean everything. Nothing checked at all. I also used several help sites, Black Viper, Answers That Work, Sysinfo.org and went thru services.msc removing anything that was unnecessary. I even went to Msconfig and unchecked everything under selective startup and then tried putting them back one at time. Very time consuming since nothing made a difference and each boot up still took 7-10 minutes. My system was, still is, relatively "clean" as I had just done a reformat and clean install to get rid of 4 trojans and a couple of diallers. I also checked, downloaded and installed the latest drivers for my VIA 4 in 1, Video card, Sound card, NIC and BIOS. Actually everything was up to date except the VIA before I installed SP2. My wifes computer has not problems at all with SP2. I know that there is something on this computer causing the slow boot up, but I have tried everything that I can think of, TweakXP forum, CPU forum, MIS at work can think of and we have not found that magic fix as of yet. I keep hoping that one of the others who have the same problem will suddenly chime in with a "eureka, I've found it" and I can try that fix.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!