1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

IE Slow Opening First Time

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by depawl, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. depawl

depawl Thread Starter

This is a Dell Dimension 3000 running XP Home SP2 with broadband (Time Warner cable) internet. After a restart of the computer, when opening IE for the first time, it opens very slowly. It takes about half a minute for the Home Page to open. I tried changing the home page and it made no difference. Once the home page loads, browsing is fine. All other pages load very quickly and if I close and reopen IE, the home page will then also load very quickly. It's only after starting the computer and opening IE for the first time that the problem exists. I have ran thorough virus/spyware cleaning and all scans currently come back clean.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

More than likely the internet options might have the setting to clear the cache on exit, if this is the case then IE would load slow the first time. I have mine set that way but also I use Firefox basically because it has a built-in spell checker and IE does not.

3. depawl

depawl Thread Starter

Ozrom:
    Thanks, but IE is not set to clear cache on exit. And the problem only occurs after restarting the computer. If I just close out of IE and then reopen it, the home page comes up very quickly. After a restart of the computer however it takes forever.

4. BioStormX

BioStormX

Well, I'm sure at least the reason why it loads fast after the first time is because it tends to stay in memory once you've opened it.

As to why it loads so slow the first time, I don't know.

5. depawl

depawl Thread Starter

Resetting IE (Tools|Internet Options|Advanced|Reset) corrected the problem.
    Thanks for the input.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700116

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice